• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Wedding Banns

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Oz.

Banns are an announcement of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place.

Banns need to be read in the parish where each of you lives as well as the church in which you are to be married if that is another parish.

You must have your banns read out in church for three Sundays during the three months before the wedding. This is often done over three consecutive Sundays but does not have to be.

Hey Oz, don't you search the internet, it's quite easy you know.>:D >:D :2fun: :2fun: :2fun:

Pom.:)

Last edited:
Burpengary, Brisbane Queensland Australia
Hi Oz.

Banns are an announcement of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place.

Banns need to be read in the parish where each of you lives as well as the church in which you are to be married if that is another parish.

You must have your banns read out in church for three Sundays during the three months before the wedding. This is often done over three consecutive Sundays but does not have to be.

Hey Oz, don't you search the internet, it's quite easy you know.>:D >:D :2fun: :2fun: :2fun:

Pom.:)
Yeah ok.

Oz

joaning

Loyal Member
Hi Steve,Oz,Pom,I remember having the banns read for my marriage,
3 Sundays in a row, it's all a blur now, and was then too.
I don't know what was said.
It's been 47 years,too long ago to remember.
We had it in the church we were going to be married in,
but not in the church where we lived.
Oz, maybe the spring is broken??

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Or thingumajig. :D

There are 5 ways to get married:

1) Licence

2) Proclamation

3) Banns

4) Elope

5) Shotgun

:2fun:

susanwillis59

Valued Member
banns are also posted in the registry office. they placed in a cabinet in the foyer of our reg office , for a couple of weeks prior to the marriage.same reason in case there are any objections sue

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
My great, great grandmother was born before her parents wed. They wed when she was 7 months old and then the baby was baptised as the daughter of the new husband. They wed on 25th July 1864. Their banns were probably read earlier to mid of that month.