• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Welsh translation help please

gibbo

Loyal Member
Can anyone translate this article please.

[ill] a Chyffrevinol, .
Y Genedl Cymreig (Caernarvon, Wales), Wednesday, December 4, 1889

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
It needs a real person. :2fun:

I get the following words:

sure/certain
brother
about
institution
denomination

gibbo

Loyal Member
Where's Brian [ianto] :2fun::2fun: Might send him a email:eek::2fun::2fun:

Thanks Dave:) I think i can say it isnt my Susannah as mine was supposedly in Australia from 1840 but im covering all tracks, not leaving anything unturned:rolleyes:

ianto73

Valued Member
Look you, there's lovely it is see, !
Gibbo, I've written the words down and will send them to you for checking before I sneak across the borders next week.
Take care.
Brian

bez

[ill] a Chyffrevinol, .

Hi gibbo,
The best we can do is as follows, as it appears to be very old welsh, we cannot fathom out what the second word coffadwrineth means, and we have basically translated it, but you best to check.

will coffadwrineth mrs susannah gibson, newcastle-on-tyne, will surely be wonderful because she left wesleyan brothers 3000p and to different organisations as named.

Hope this may be of some help.
Regards bez

Hi
I don't suppose these two translations help with the word coffadwriaeth. They are from this website
http://www.carmarthenshire-online.info/llandybiemonumentals/llandybiemonumentals00024.html

Er cof annwyl am Lavinia Williams, Royal Oak, Llandybie, a hunodd yn yrIesu Ionawr 22 1914Hefyd ar hoff coffadwriaeth David Williams annwyl briod Lavinia yr hwn ahunodd yn yr Iesu Ionawr 31 1915

In memory of our beloved Lavinia Williams, Royal Oak, Llandybie, slept in the Iesu Ionawr 22 1914 Jesus January 22 1914 Hefyd ar hoff coffadwriaeth David Williams annwyl briod Lavinia yr hwn a David Williams is also a favorite memory of this beloved wife Lavinia hunodd yn yr Iesu Ionawr 31 1915. Jesus died in the January 31, 1915
-----------------------------

Er cof annwyl am Anne gwraig Daniel Evans, Carnbicca yn y7 plwyf hwn, bufarw Mawrth 19, 1914 yn 33 blwydd oed,,Coffadwrineth y cyflawn sydd fendigedig

In memory of our beloved wife Anne Daniel Evans, Carnbicca y7 in this parish, there was farw Mawrth 19, 1914 yn 33 blwydd oed died March 19, 1914 at 33 years old ,,Coffadwrineth y cyflawn sydd fendigedig ,, Coffadwrineth complete the wonderful

dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Bez and Dave,

Thank you for the help.

So it appears that it has something to do with a death or her will.

Hope it didnt do anyones head in to much. I'll find my Susannah one day, a case of eliminating them one at a time i think:biggrin:
Thanks again.

ianto73

Valued Member
Lee, I take my hat off to you - well done. Having been an exile for more years than when I lived in Wales, I'm allowed to find others to do my translations. It just irks me that when you want to cross the Severn Bridge you have to pay to leave England but at least you get into Wales for nothing!!:2fun::2fun::biggrin::biggrin:

Brian

leefer

Loyal Member
Lee, I take my hat off to you - well done. Having been an exile for more years than when I lived in Wales, I'm allowed to find others to do my translations. It just irks me that when you want to cross the Severn Bridge you have to pay to leave England but at least you get into Wales for nothing!!:2fun::2fun::biggrin::biggrin:

Brian
That is very true Brian,in fact i love delivering to Wales and have vowed to take some pics when on my travels .
Find it incredible that an hour away from deepest Wiltshire is another country,with another language and culture.

All the best to you Brian.

Brian
Don't you mean you have to pay to get into Wales, but there are no toll booths going eastbound so you get into England for nothing.:D:D

ianto73

Valued Member
Dave, the toll bridge is on the English side going west towards the land of song. There are NO toll bridges on the Welsh side and if you do what I used to many years ago, enter Wales via Ross-on-Wye and return via the Severn Bridge then you don't pay at all. "We'll keep a welcome" is right isn't it!! Anyway it is the French consortium who get the money.

Now to the useless information I have:-
Original Severn Bridge - cost around £8 million, Main span 3240 feet, two side spans 1000 feet, overall width 104 feet 6 inches. Design by Sir Gilbert Roberts a partner of Freeman, Fox & Partners - I have the little booklet my late parents obtained from somewhere.

leefer

Loyal Member
I sometimes go the scenic and cheaper route,Gloucester,then following the River Severn past Frampton On Severn,Blakeney and finally into Chepstow and Wales,lovely drive.

18 squid to cross the bridge by lorry these days:eek:...very rare i go the scenic route and only if i have to deliver that area before going to Wales.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Dave, the toll bridge is on the English side going west towards the land of song. There are NO toll bridges on the Welsh side and if you do what I used to many years ago, enter Wales via Ross-on-Wye and return via the Severn Bridge then you don't pay at all. "We'll keep a welcome" is right isn't it!! Anyway it is the French consortium who get the money.

Now to the useless information I have:-
Original Severn Bridge - cost around £8 million, Main span 3240 feet, two side spans 1000 feet, overall width 104 feet 6 inches. Design by Sir Gilbert Roberts a partner of Freeman, Fox & Partners - I have the little booklet my late parents obtained from somewhere.

Glad to see some useless information Brian, love it :biggrin: It can be very educational to for the likes of me :2fun::2fun:

Thank you for the help everyone.

bez

[ill] a Chyffrevinol, .

Hi again gibbo,
I had someone who's first language is welsh look at this transcript, and she gave a rough translation of her interpretation as follows :

Mrs Susannah Gibson, Newcastle - on -Tyne, has left 3000p to the brother chapel which is much appreciated and will be used amongst the services within.

Coffadwrineth is still baffling us though, but (coffad) appears to mean something like commemoration/memorial.

Don't know if the money was literally 3000 pennies, but suppose that that would have been a lot of money in those days.
I would only presume that this was not a will, but money that was left in memory of her.

Don't know if this is of any more help to you, but just thought that she should have a look.

Kind regards,
bez

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi again gibbo,
I had someone who's first language is welsh look at this transcript, and she gave a rough translation of her interpretation as follows :

Mrs Susannah Gibson, Newcastle - on -Tyne, has left 3000p to the brother chapel which is much appreciated and will be used amongst the services within.

Coffadwrineth is still baffling us though, but (coffad) appears to mean something like commemoration/memorial.

Don't know if the money was literally 3000 pennies, but suppose that that would have been a lot of money in those days.
I would only presume that this was not a will, but money that was left in memory of her.

Don't know if this is of any more help to you, but just thought that she should have a look.

Kind regards,
bez

Thank you Bez and thank the person who had a look at it for me please:)
I dont think this one is my Susannah but any of them that i find im checking out just on the off chance hence needing the translation to see if there was anything in it that may help confirm or eliminate this Susannah.
Thanks again.