• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Wentworth Woodhouse, South Yorkshire.

Wasn't aware of the Wentworth house,some history there.

The Long family was a well known one in Wiltshire,to this day Long is a very common name in these parts.

Thanks Steve.

He said he was in Sheffield Archives, he lied. He was in that place we cannot name, a warehouse that stores surplus exhibits. Sheffield Archives aren't open at present due to refurbishments and has been so for some time . All their stuff had to be boxed and stored in this warehouse. Hopefully they will be sorted and everything back in August, but till then only Dan Cruikshank gets such priviledges.

He said he was in Sheffield Archives, he lied. He was in that place we cannot name, a warehouse that stores surplus exhibits. Sheffield Archives aren't open at present due to refurbishments and has been so for some time . All their stuff had to be boxed and stored in this warehouse. Hopefully they will be sorted and everything back in August, but till then only Dan Cruikshank gets such priviledges.

It's still a wonderful looking house though DW, wherever he found those records.:2fun:

Steve.:)

Yes and the good news is that it has major funding to turn it into a museum and hotel so it will be open to the public. It also has major funding to landscape the gardens and try and put some of it back the way it was.

Makes you wonder why the hell they are left to rot in the first place,just no logic to it in my eyes.
Any fool can see that many of our great houses etc have been shockingly left to rack and ruin.

Well I can understand it as it needs a lot of money and there are a lot of stately homes. As someone who is trying to raise a few thousand for a small tudor farmhouse which is unique I have mixed feelings about it.

Millions go to Stately Homes every year. Bishops House has been trying for extra funding since the 70s. Several tudor buildings have been demolished in the area since the 1970s. We can't even get the £40'000 needed to start the ball rolling on uncovering Sheffield Castle ruins.

At the moment I'm also trying to raise help raise funds for a 17th century farm which is also the workshops for people with learning difficulties. A project which at the moment is getting no public funding despite it being an obvious project for funding to me.

It seems The Wentworth Woodhouse Estate was doing quite nicely, as they were mining coal on the estate.

Then eventually the mine/coal was nationalised, and the estate income was virtually non existent. They tore up a large lumps of the gardens, with open cast mining for low grade coal.
The land never recovered, as it was covered with spoil from the mining.

It was never financially viable coal, as it was low grade. And it seemed to be a ploy(if you read between the lines), to bring down what was a prosperous estate and family.

I take my hat off to Mr Newbold, who has sunk a lot of his money into keeping this wonderful house alive.

Steve.:)

Back