• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

West Surrey Regiment?

A Sidney A Paris born abt 1872 appears on the Canadian 1906 census for Selkirk Manitoba. Others listed are:-

Marie
Ida
Peter J
Marie R
Allice
Mary

He may be the one on the passenger list for 1918.

Last edited:
Wow! You have filled in some serious information on my gr-gf! His stepmother/aunt and the possiblilty that he was a boy soldier (did that even happen?). My theory was he was peeling potatoes as a boy for the West Surrey regiment, since he was a cook in the Canadian Forces.

Sydney's timeline as I know it:

Born: 1 May 1872 - Sydney Archibald Paris - Portsea
Parents: Joseph Paris and Rose Hannah Vine

Christened: 1872, Sevenoaks Kent

Mother Died: 1873

Emigrates to Canada: ?????

Married: Marie Geswein 26 Feb 1900

1906 Canadian Census:
Sidney A Paris 34
Marie Paris 26
Peter J Paris 4
Marie R Paris 3
Allice Paris 2
Mary Paris 16 Jun (my grandmother and after adoption named Nora Victoria Morrison)

Then after my grandmother and her siblings were apprehended by the Manitoba government in 1908 (due to malnutrition and neglect)??, I recently discovered a bombshell, my gr-grandparents had moved to the Humboldt Saskatchewan area (Bruno, SK is where they actually lived and is very close to Humbolt) and started a new family.

1911 Canadian Census:
Sydney Paris 39 - Born 1872, England
Marie Paris 31 - Born 1880, US (which is right)
Timeothy Paris 3
Minnie Paris 11 months
Joseph Paris 64 (Sydney's dad came to visit in 1908 and stayed until 1912 - verified by Passenger lists)

1915: Sydney joined Canadian Forces as a cook (claims to be separated from Marie, but leaves her as next-of-kin, living in Bruno, SK)

1918: after returning from WW1, leaves from Winnipeg,MB, Canada and enters the US in Vermont.
-OR-
1918: after returning from WW1, enters the US in Seattle (if this is the scenario he shows up on the 1920 US Census in Butler, Fresno, California, but I cannot find a Sydney A Paris born in India (Indiana) as this record claims. Was he having fun with the census taker?

Then pffft, he's gone. Also haven't been able to track Marie or the 2 new children after the 1911 Census.

Rumors (and these are sketchy) had Sydney joining up with vaudeville and using the name Sydney DeVine. (A cute play on his mother's maiden name if this is true).

We cannot find any death records for Sydney, Marie, Timothy or Minnie (the 2nd family).

An interesting story thus far...

I really want to thank you both for all your investigative efforts! You rock!

Penny

Back