• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Westlake Family

gibbo

Loyal Member
Are you able to tell us where you got the birth for Thomas Edward from please? Im not finding a birth for him in 1840 in Surrey.
This is the closet i have been able to find.

WESTLAKE, THOMAS EDWARD Mother's maiden name NEWMAN
GRO Reference: 1841 J Quarter in STEPNEY Volume 02 Page 475

TonyW

Hi, Thomas Edwards Westlake’s death certificate states he was born in 1840 in Merton Surrey England, his parents were George and Mary Ann Haite and it also stated that he had lived in New South Wales for 63 years.

TonyW

Much appreciated as I have run into a dead end, there are no records of him leaving England or arriving in Australia. What we have discovered is my daughter did a DNA search and she is linked to a Samual Westlake who was born in 1700 in England but died in Canada.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi, Thomas Edwards Westlake’s death certificate states he was born in 1840 in Merton Surrey England, his parents were George and Mary Ann Haite and it also stated that he had lived in New South Wales for 63 years.
Who was the informant on his death certificate? Im not finding anything on a marriage for parents or his birth. Sometimes the informants information can have errors in it.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I can't find any marriage of a George to a Mary Ann or any births 1837 - 1851 with a mmn anything like Haite.

I can't find a family that would fit in 1841 census.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Fri 6 Oct 1922 p.8
DEATHS
WESTLAKE.-October 5, 1922, at his residence, Cumberland-street, Cabramatta, Thomas Edward Westlake, aged 82 years.

Rookwood
7 Oct 1922 PLOT Zone B Section DD Grave 355

gibbo

Loyal Member
I can't find any marriage of a George to a Mary Ann or any births 1837 - 1851 with a mmn anything like Haite.

I can't find a family that would fit in 1841 census.
Thanks Dave, glad someone else had a look to confirm that nothing could be found. I was wondering if i had missed something somewhere. And i guess a 1870's marriage certificate would have limited information on it.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
You never know with the marriage certificate. I have one from 1867 and one from 1880 with no age, no pob, no parents, no occupation.

I have to go out to sign my tax return.

TonyW

i have the original Certificate of Marriage for Willie James Westlake (Great Grandfather) from 1896 and it his age on it, i think i'll order Thomas's one.

Tony
Who was the informant on his death certificate? Im not finding anything on a marriage for parents or his birth. Sometimes the informants information can have errors in it.
I'm starting to think this maybe the case, the informant was his Grand-Son Thomas C J Burgess who married my Grand Fathers (Alexander) sister Winifred V

gibbo

Loyal Member
i have the original Certificate of Marriage for Willie James Westlake (Great Grandfather) from 1896 and it his age on it, i think i'll order Thomas's one.

Tony

I'm starting to think this maybe the case, the informant was his Grand-Son Thomas C J Burgess who married my Grand Fathers (Alexander) sister Winifred V
Quiet possible then that there could be errors on it. Not that he lied of course, he would just have filled it out to the best of his knowledge, hence mistakes occur. If you do get the marriage cert. for Thomas please let us know, and if there is further information on that we might be of some help then.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have the death of my great grandfather in 1901 and it has 65 years in NSW but that should be 63 because I have his arrival.

The Westlake name is rare in Surrey and common in Devon and Somerset.

I checked the other births in Surrey between 1837 and 1850 and found nothing that helps.

Is the name clearly Mary Ann Haite? Not Waite say?

horse

Loyal Member
Not able to to take this any further..

George Westlake
Date of Trial: 13 May 1839
Location of Trial: Middlesex, England
Sentence: Transportation [7y]

Old Bailey

HULK:
George Westlake
Date Received: 6 Jun 1839
Ship: Fortitude
Place Moored: Chatham
Date Convicted: 13 May 1839
Place Convicted: Central Criminal Court (Old Bailey), London
[Occ = master baker]

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Merton is RD Croydon Vol 4

I've searched 1839 - 1841 for a Thomas that might fit and didn't find one.
Yeah, so little found..

Possibly clutching at straws with father, that said if it is him, maybe a reason for Thomas to emigrate

Concern is that he is adopted or parents never married etc..

Geoff