• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

What a disastrous evening

duckweed

Loyal Member
Had great idea. Lets have spooky film in Bishops House. Spooky film in spooky house. Seemed simple. Downloaded great classic film. Had someone to come with their projector and huge screen. All sett with drinking chocolate and cookies and popcorn.

Only projectionist cried off and I am trying to come to grips with my projector (just bought off ebay) and after several practices seemed ok. So do my short talk about film which was ok but then couldn't get film to play. Finally got it to play and couldn't get in sharp focus and then five minutes before end of film it stuck.

Still everybody liked the idea if not the projection. If I can get better projector and screen we are going to do Hammer House of Horror films.

But I was so embarassed.

ianto73

Valued Member
DW, your plight brought back the memories I have of being a projectionist at short notice. During my service in an up-country location in Aden, the task was dumped on me when the other guy went off camp for a couple of days. Our films came with three reels - and the generator shut down at 1030 every night, so had to get it right the first time.:biggrin: Thanks for bringing yet another snippet of my past back to life.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
My eldest brother has got loads of home movies.....and holiday films. 8mm I think. He's had them digitized onto CD's a few years ago. Cost him a fortune.

I can remember him running them backwards, and they were so hilarious.:biggrin:

Steve.:)

leefer

Loyal Member
Had great idea. Lets have spooky film in Bishops House. Spooky film in spooky house. Seemed simple. Downloaded great classic film. Had someone to come with their projector and huge screen. All sett with drinking chocolate and cookies and popcorn.

Only projectionist cried off and I am trying to come to grips with my projector (just bought off ebay) and after several practices seemed ok. So do my short talk about film which was ok but then couldn't get film to play. Finally got it to play and couldn't get in sharp focus and then five minutes before end of film it stuck.

Still everybody liked the idea if not the projection. If I can get better projector and screen we are going to do Hammer House of Horror films.

But I was so embarassed.
Brilliant Duckweed....made me smile.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Someone said it was the resident ghost complaining. We were supposed to be showing Phantom of the Opera.

I am now determined we beg or borrow some better equipment and do some proper film shows.

I'd like to get some of the old films I used to see at children's matinees like the mark of Zorro and Robin Hood and possibly Felix the Cat. (my son loved felix when he was little and those cartoons are older than me)

I should have known we were jinxed from the start. I spent the week before recovering from a bad chest infection so had no time to really test everything out.

ianto73

Valued Member
DW, I am in the privileged position of having had a variety of life, between the services and overseas working in the 80's. There are many stories that come from that and many think I'm telling 'tall stories', as if I would.:biggrin: :biggrin:
Where I was when I became the projectionist, we had a small team, and our Medic Cpl (a Jock) decided he would buy a lot of drink one night. When asked what was the reason for the celebration, his reply was "I don't know, but there must have been something that happened of significance in the past few centuries!!!" :biggrin::biggrin::2fun::2fun: This story is true, honestly!
Brian

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have been looking up licensing if we want to continue. Apparently there is a reasonably cheap license as long as we don't charge entry and we use DVDs. Also we can't advertise the exact film except inside the House.

I suppose that could be worth it if we had a regular monthly screening.

Otherwise we have to stick to films in the public domain and not copywrite protected.

I just have to persuade everybody that we need a license then we can have some real fun.

duckweed

Loyal Member
The guy with the sooty face in that add is a friend of my husbands. He's a professional re-enactor and qualified historian.

I have made a sort of film but Son tells me it is too long to put on Youtube. So I may have to shorten it to post it.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I have had a surprising number of people want to do it again if we can get better equipment so has the making of great future events.

I always had to check chocolates I gave to my mother not because she was allergic to anything she just couldn't stand coffee creams. I didn't mind when anyone gave her them as I got some free chocolates that way.

Rune Mussett-Sharp

DW, I am in the privileged position of having had a variety of life, between the services and overseas working in the 80's. There are many stories that come from that and many think I'm telling 'tall stories', as if I would.:biggrin: :biggrin:
Where I was when I became the projectionist, we had a small team, and our Medic Cpl (a Jock) decided he would buy a lot of drink one night. When asked what was the reason for the celebration, his reply was "I don't know, but there must have been something that happened of significance in the past few centuries!!!" :biggrin::biggrin::2fun::2fun: This story is true, honestly!
Brian
What a good excuse. It beats the "It must be happy hour somewhere."
Thanks,Rune

Rune Mussett-Sharp

I have been looking up licensing if we want to continue. Apparently there is a reasonably cheap license as long as we don't charge entry and we use DVDs. Also we can't advertise the exact film except inside the House.

I suppose that could be worth it if we had a regular monthly screening.

Otherwise we have to stick to films in the public domain and not copywrite protected.

I just have to persuade everybody that we need a license then we can have some real fun.
I think this sounds brilliant. Keep us up to date.
Rune

ptjw7

Loyal Member
All this talk about home movies reminded me of my time in Shepherds Bush at a Research establishment, where we had a social club and as part of that a film society.
Most of the films were 16mm and with 2 projectors the shows were quite successful all shown in the lecture room which at 20ft long with a projection room at the back was perfect.
Come some renovations and we lost the lecture room to office space so had to move into the main hall on the top floor. So a new large screen had to be purchased and then fitted to the very high ceiling and power lowered when needed. Come the first showing, all the spectators were seated and when it started we all had to strain our eyes as you could hardly see a thing, I know most of the action was in candle lit interiors etc(film was Tom Jones) but what was forgotten was the square rule for illumination, not something I would have expected within a research establishment!
It did get better later with some halogen bulbs and forced cooling but the evening wasnt a complete washout as we had the bar open!

The otherthing I remember about home movies was that if the film stopped a hole was quickly burnt in it, so out with the selotape and splice it again!
Thank goodnes for dvd!

peter

duckweed

Loyal Member
We didn't have a bar though someone brought their own wine and then spilt it all over the floor.

But your event sounds almost as bad as mine though we didn't have a problem of film catching fire which is just as well since we were in a half-timbered tudor building.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alison WW1 Ancestry 3
leefer FHUK Funny Forum 1
K Introduce Yourself 10