• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

What do you use to create your tree?

Hi,

I am currently in the process of compiling my family tree online at Ancestry.co.uk.

I would like to get some recommendations as to what software/websites people are using for desigining their tree. Not specifically what resources they use to do their research. This can be either paid or free.

The reason I ask is that once my family tree is complete or untill I am satisfied I am as far back as I am likely to get I would like to get it professionally printed in its entirety if possible. Any recommedations of companies that do this are also welcome if forum rules permit them.

If I were to purchase a poster from ancestry I believe their is a restriction on the size of the tree which can be printed which is not that big? I am aware I could export to a GEDOM file and import it elsewhere but I'm thinking if I am going to have to do that at the end is it worth looking at doing it sooner rather than later and having the benefits of the increased functionality such as speed etc now?

Thanks

Gareth

woodlander

Valued Member
Legacy have facilities to reproduce your tree in various formats and I think Tribal Pages offer a DVD/printable copy of your compiled tree.

I think most popular software - Family History/Family Tree Maker etc do similar. Have a browse around the googled sites and see what appeals to you :)

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
I have been researching my family history since the very early 1950s, (and my grandfather for many decades before that starting his research in the late 19th century) it is not complete yet.
As you can imagine the choice of available printing methods has changed considerably in that time.
I would advise waiting until you are ready to print before looking at options.

With regards to software to use in compiling ones tree there is no doubt that the best option is a program hosted on ones own computer.
Online trees have a habit of disappearing into the cloud. There is a wide range of programs available I prefer the shareware program Brothers Keeper
http://www.bkwin.net/index.html
Cheers
Guy

woodlander

Valued Member
I have been researching my family history since the very early 1950s, (and my grandfather for many decades before that starting his research in the late 19th century) it is not complete yet.
Wow Guy, no wonder you're so good at this :eek: You give me hope and inspiration for the brick walls I try to return to and demolish - my 7+ years is just a smidge :biggrin:

Hi, I use Family Tree Maker 2005. It has the option to view a full trees. Later versions do not have this facility anymore. I have been producing family tree charts with photos, stories & notes all on the Chart for more that eight years. I see these features are now available with the new 2012 edition of Family Tree maker, but still no ability to view full trees. I use The Complete Genealogy Reporter for narratives. Publisher 2007 to construct Charts, Indexes & Kinship Reports. Photostudio 5 for cleaning & editing photos.
Time-Tra4ler
Family Tree Research & Develoment