• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

what era would you liked..

To have lived in?

I think even though it would have been dangerous to have been there I think it would be the tudor era OR 1912 on the RMS Titanic

Both topics as well as Egypt do have a special place in my heart.

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Well since I was a kid, I have always dreaded the Victorian age, for many reasons. It must of been really tough then, the world changing so fast, people were either very rich or the majority very poor living in squalor not knowing when the next meal was coming from. To see that people sold clothes and even their own beds to get a meal is both amazing and sad.
That's real poverty.
I think this feeling has always been "inside" of me - so I believe my ancestors must of had a rough time of it then! It may have also had to do with seeing films like Charles Dickens "Oliver Twist" which got "stuck" in my mind.:)

So what era would I have liked? I would have to go with Medieval times - 13th century, nights in shining armour and all that. And maybe I could have joined Robin Hood (local Nottingham hero - for those that don't know! :)) and met his merry men and fought the local sherrif and King John!
My Wife always said I would look good in green tights!:2fun:

Regards,
Dave

I'll bet you would Dave!! ;)

I sometimes wonder what life wouldve been like in london when Jack the Ripper was about, it seems fantastic to me that my gt granma was alive, although she was born in london she didnt live there for long, as the whole family moved back to Nottinghamshire, and then she dies at the age of 48.

My mum was 'into' Egypt and the gory stuff.... murders etc.. and knew of Nurse Waddinghams family,

I suspect that is where I get my interest from....lol

pejay

Valued Member
Hi I guess unless you were rich life must have been very difficult, even staying alive! health care was a bit barbaric or non existant to say the least. I think if I could have loads of money I would have liked to have been alive in the Georgian period. The clothes seemed to be so elegant and stylish. But I would hate to be poor in any era. The harsh penalties that were given for petty crime were awful. Working conditions so bad, It really must have been a very challenging time!. Perhaps it would be better to spend a short time say a day in all the ages so long as we could eventually come back to the present time :)

Tom

I have a few different ideas. ;)

The 1920s - my great grandparent's seem to have had such a great time through looking at their photographs and seemed to live life to the full. It was all very slick and "cool".

The Tudors, Egyptians, Victorians are all areas of history that really interest me as well.

I think it would have been great to have been a rich Roman but not much good being a poor one. lol

I am quite happy where I am thanks, :D

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Being brought up on Rawhide, Bonanza and other westerns and wanting to be a cowgirl (grown out of that now) like to have a mosey round the wild west, though wouldnt want to live in that era.

Julie I've a distant rellie who was a survivor on the Titanic

oooh Julie,

that sounds very interesting, I don't know what it is about it that fascinates me so, whether its the sheer magnatude (sp) of the Titanic story or what.. I know it wouldnt have been any picnic when she was sinking and must've been totally awful for those that were in the water and trying to get into a lifeboat.

I don't know what it is, I just know that it grabs me

horrobin

:D

i'M NOT SURE WHAT ERA i WOULD LIKED TO HAVE LIVED IN BECAUSE i LIKE ALL THE DIFFERENT ERA'S. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF I COULD IF I COULD BE IN EACH FOR A SHORT WHILE AND MEET MY ANCESTERS

PAT :kissu:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I'd go back to the 1880s to a Victorian London. I would walk around the city and all the vast maze of streets and buildings, the sound of horses hoofs clattering on the streets as endless carriages, mailcoaches made their way around the city and the Cockney, Irish, Jewish and other English regional accents.

Ben