• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

what is a bleacher

izabel

Staff member
hi there, thanks so much, i somehow had it connected to sports. I suppose they must have worked in some kind of a factory as i see quite a few people on the census have this profession. Will look around the area he was born for textiles. thanks again.

Brace yourself - ggg granpa might have been involved in the tanning industry. Bleaching back in the early days of tanning relied on the availability of cheap processing materials, one of which, apparently to be found almost everywhere - is urine. Does a lot of things, but can bleach too.

izabel

Staff member
Oh My God - thank goodness they were in the textile business - can you imagine - just dump your whatever over there and Ill pee on it later. Thats as bad as the bell in the cemetry

Dredging up an old topic to be nosy. Whereabouts were your ancestors working in the Bleaching Industry? Do you have any idea which Bleachers? We hold the Bleachers' Association Archive at work, so if the Bleach Works was part of the BAA I might be able to give you more info.

izabel

Staff member
Hi Carrie I missed this thread. My family all seemed to have worked in the Nether Kirktonfiled area around paisley and I would love to know more about their lives. So sorry I missed this hope its not too late to get info

Minden

Dredging up an old topic to be nosy. Whereabouts were your ancestors working in the Bleaching Industry? Do you have any idea which Bleachers? We hold the Bleachers' Association Archive at work, so if the Bleach Works was part of the BAA I might be able to give you more info.
Izabel, I guess you found this: http://www.neilston.org.uk/history/industrialrevolution.htm
It mentions the Bleachers' Association.

The sports link you mentioned earlier in the thread is from the rows of benches in American sports stadiums (think of the scene in Grease where they're singing about summer Nights). Stay out in the sun too long and you'll get bleached....