• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

    Please read the following:

    Read the current rules of the forum

    Thank you

    If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

What should I do now?

I have managed to trace my family to an Inkerman Hawes Gilpin, born Dec 1855. I have his birth certificate which states only that his mothers name is Sarah Gilpin, no father name, the birth district is Stepney. I cannot find him at all on any census pre 1881 where i found him as James Galpin, living as a boarder with his soon to be wife's family. It states on his marriage certificate that his middle names are Inkerman Hawes and that his surname is also known as Gilpin. I am not sure how to go about tracking down his mother as I have no other details for her and she does not seem to be on any census either. Does anyone have any helpful hints as to what i could do next?

Similar threads