• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

What's in your genes ?

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Love of sailing from the Adamsons' of Rothwell and Selby .
Engineering also from the Adamson side.7 20th century ones found so far.
Asthma from my Mother's Scottish coalmining side ,also from my Paternal Grandmother .Red Hair from my Father's side, that includes County Down, and before that Stevenston,Ayrshire.

Ellie

Last edited by a moderator:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have a strain of Brittle Bone disease(Osteosythesis Imperfecta), not sure from what side of my family that comes from.

I have no other connection to any of the occupations of my relatives.

I've managed to hold onto more of my hair than my father and grandfathers, for longer.

Oh, my height is definately in the Genes, from my mother and fathers side of the family, which shows in my children, and my siblings children, and a lot of cousins......for the most part, they are all over 6 feet tall, including girls and boys.

Most boys are 6ft 4ins plus, and most girls are 6ft 2ins plus.

So, I would say height is the main factor, above anything else.:biggrin:

Steve.:)

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Oh, and off course there are the feet.......we need larger 'roots' to hold up the height.:2fun:

I'm a size 11 - 12, and my daughters curse me for that. I said......'Being over 6 foot, you'd look a bit silly with size 5's.:eek::2fun:

The reply....'But Dad, we can't get fashionable shoes to fit us'.

I replied to that with........'You should be able to save a lot of money then, for better things'.;):biggrin:

Height has it's advantages, but we must mind our heads.:2fun:

Steve.:)

Ladybird1300

Loyal Member
Staff member
Most of my minor health issues are from my mother's side, but not necessarily from my mother, Inherited dark hair from both sides, although greying now.....thank god for hair dye :biggrin:

I always thought from a very early age that I should speak another language and pretended I could then discovered less than ten years ago I have French ancestors...who knew?? :eek: I did a DNA test recently and found that I am more European than I ever knew!!

Both my grandfather's were over six feet, but one of my grandmother's was barely five feet, only my cousin inherited the height gene, myself and his sister are average height.

I met a cousin since tracing my tree....we are related by a few generations back and discovered we were both born on the same day.
She lives in Wiltshire and I see her a couple of times a year and when I first met her I thought she looked very much like my great aunt. Her mum died a few years ago and when her dad met my mum for the irst time, he cried because she looked a lot like my cousin's mum....odd how resemblance runs in families :)

Amanda

gibbo

Loyal Member
We have fruit cake running through our genes. A little bit of everything all mixed up including nuts! :eek:

There is a inherited factor V [5] blood disorder in my family. I had to be tested and im all good tho there are others in the family with the problem, a couple of nieces and nephews etc.