• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WHEELER & BUTT

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Looking for the parents of a Harriet Wheeler possibly born in NSW abt 1818 and a Selina Butt possibly born in NSW abt 1829.

emeltee

Loyal Member
I have found a couple of trees

Harriet Wheeler 14 August 1818 Bisley Gloucestershire parents Jonathan Wheeler and Jane March
Died 28 March 1850 Camden NSW

Selina Butt born c1830 Bisley, Gloucestershire parents Jacob Butt and Ann Smart
Died 26 October 1862 Ryde NSW

I cannot find anything to confirm these baptisms.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks emeltee.

Ok, I have that family in my tree.

Jonathan WHEELER & Jane MARCH
Marriage: 4 Jan 1813 Bisley, Gloucestershire, England
Page 1
MARRIAGES solemnized in the Parish of Bisley in the County of Gloucester in the Year 1813
Jonathan Wheeler of this Parish Bachelor
Jane March of this Parish Spinster
Married in this Church by Banns this fourth day of January 1813 by me Edward Mansfield Vicar
Parties signed: Jonathan Wheeler, the mark m of Jane March
In the Presence of: James Gaun ?, Jane Wheeler
No. 1

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Ok, I have a different Butt family in my tree.

John BUTT & Jane DURNFORD
m. 14 Oct 1800 Winterborne-Stickland, Dorset, England
Batch M160191

NSW Marriage 319/1846 V1846319 31C WHEELER SAMUEL - BUTT SELINA - CR= CofE Cobbitty, Narellan

Page 23
Marriages solemnized in the Parish of Narrellan in the County of Cumberland in the Year 1846
No. 89
Samuel Wheeler of the Parish of The Oaks
Selina Butt of the Parish of ditto
married in this Church by Banns with consent of Parent
this Fifteenth day of September 1846 By me Thos. Hassall Chaplain
Parties signed: By their marks
Witnesses: Arthur Poole of The Oaks, Hapsey her x mark Poole, of Do.

NSW Death 4880/1909 WHEELER SAMUEL - JONATHAN - JANE - CAMDEN

emeltee

Loyal Member
There are several trees with John Butt and Jane Durnford but not one of them has a Selina born to the couple. According to Dorset OPC the last child baptised to John and Jane was Stephen in 1814.

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Samuel Wheeler on findagrave
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/177681406/samuel-wheeler
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/136639454?searchTerm=samuel wheeler

Selina Butt baptised 1 April 1832 Bisley Gloucester – Jacob (1807-1878) & Ann Butt (1801-1872) nee Smart – they married 17 April 1827 Bisley Gloucestershire & family arrived 18 Jan 1838 from Bisley on “Layton”

Samuel remarried 1863 NSW to Annie Richards (1844 - 1941) – reg 1700

Off a tree –
Following was posted onto Bisley Gloucestershire Village Website.
a sad story.. a visit to NSW State archives & records of Selina from Tarban Creek Asylum state she was admitted Aug 1860 suffering “puerperal mania” a form of mania recognized in the 19th century following childbirth. She had 6 children living, the youngest aged 3, with the most recent birth 6 months prior. She was reported as suffering some mania throughout the 3 years since prior confinement, but in the weeks preceding admission was increasingly violent and also suffering general paralysis. Her condition gradually improved and she was released into her husband’s care March 1861. Re-admitted Sept 1862 being paralyzed and completely helpless in addition to her mental imbecility. She gave birth to a premature baby est 5 months gestation on Oct 23 and passed away herself on 26 Oct. Based on these details, not sure re any connection to pan encephalitis? - The headstones of Samuel and his 2nd wife Annie plus Selina’s parents Jacob & Ann Butt are visible in the cemetery of St John’s Anglican Church Camden as are many other Wheeler family connections.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Val.

Lots of Wheeler and connected families in Camden.

The Sydney Morning Herald - Sat 10 Jun 1933 p.9
ST. JOHN'S, CAMDEN.
Anniversary of Consecration.
(BY ERIC RAMSDEN.)
Mrs. Samuel Wheeler, the oldest parishioner, preserves an interesting link with the past. Her husband came to Australia with his father, the late Jonathan Wheeler from Gloucester, in 1838. The Wheelers were sawyers. They were brought out by the Macarthur family for the purpose of preparing the timber for St. John's Church. The finest of the ironbark trees in the district were placed at their disposal. How splendidly the Wheelers, father and son used their material, can be seen in the roof of the church to-day nearly a century later. The woodwork throughout St. John's has been handled with exquisite craftsmanship. Samuel Wheeler died in 1909, aged 94. His widow, though now in her 90th year, still walks up the hill to service.