• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Where did Arthur go?

I'm hoping some military expert out there will be able to help me with the mysterious disappearance of my gg grandfather Arthur Wray. His military records state that he was courtmartialled whilst serving in South Africa with the York & Lancs Regiment in 1893. It seems he was transported back to the UK and discharged in Prison on 25 May 1893.

How can I track him down after this - he just disappears? I can't find him on 1901 census, I can't find a death certificate for him - nothing. His daughter Leila married in 1900 and Arthur is listed as deceased?!

Hoping someone out there has some inspiration.

Many thanks
BettyL

pee wee

Hi Betty:p

Do you know Arthurs date of birth or how old he was when he was discharged.

Found only one death on freebmd before 1901 that wasn't a child and that was

March quarter 1897 age 35 Leeds vol 9b pg 386

After 1901 there are more deaths that might be in the appropriate age group.

If he wasn't on speaking terms with his daughter she might have listed him as dead or she might have believed he died while he was serving. His courtmartial might have been kept from her.

Just some thoughts.

Peta

Hi Betty
What area did Arthur come from, l have just found some Wrays in one of my families they are form the Aldborough area Yorkshire. Could Arthur have changed his name sometimes people used their mothers maiden name. Try checking out if there is a workhouse in the area that he got discharged from prison, he might have been taken their especially if he was ill.
good luck
Pam

Hi and thanks for your input.

Arthur Wray was born on 17 Feb 1856 in Leeds. He was the oldest son of the second marriage of William Wray and Elizabeth Williamson. He grew up in Barwick in Elmet - his family was quite affluent. He started out as a student of Veterinary Surgery at Edinburgh University, left when he hurriedly married Maud Bird and is next seen as a Druggist. Then an Inn Keeper, then a clerk and then a soldier!

I have the Wills of his mother and father and it is clear that he was not "on terms" with his family. It is also obvious that whilst he was in prison, his wife formed a relationship with her lodger William, with whom she had a couple of children. Arthur and Maud already had 9 children. When the Wray family emigrated to USA in the early 1900's, it is this William who took on the surname Wray, also posing as head of the Wray family.

I think that if I can track down the prison where Arthur was sent following his discharge from the army "with ignominy" I will be making progress. I am pretty certain that all of Arthur Wray's children were complicit in any deceit involving Arthur/William Wray in the USA - in death records of the older children, some name father as Arthur Wray and others as William Wray!

In conclusion - research definitely suggests that Arthur and William Wray are NOT the same person. Many thanks for your interest.