• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Where did James Reynolds from Woodnesborough, Kent, England, Die

From
New Zealand
James Reynolds came to New Zealand on 15tn April 1879 .He came to Dunedin to live. His Wife Sarah Died 10 Apr 1914 in Nightcaps, Southland, New Zealand and Buried at Wreys Bush. There is a 22 year old James Reynolds Buried at Wreys Bush Cemetery and I think that this person has been confused with my Great Grandfather James Reynolds. Can anyone give me Where my Great Grandfather died. There is a 22 year old James Reymolds buried at Wreys Bush ,could this be James Reynolds Born 26th April 1885in Sandwich Kent as we have no record of his death.

Thanks in advance

Robert Reynolds(New Zealand)

Hi Robert,

Did James marry Sarah in New Zealand?

Also when was their last child born? Just helps to narrow dates down a little for Jame's death.

Hi Gibbo
James and Sarah Would Have been Married in Woodnesborough or nearby as the Children were born in Woodnesborough Or nearby except for the last Albert Frederick born 25th July 1879 In Dunedin New Zealand.

Thanks

Robert

I notice in the UK censuses he was an Ag Lab... do you know what his occupation may have been in NZ? There are a couple of possibilities in the Dunedin E/R's around 1919..

Geoff

This may be them in 1905/6

Sarah Ann Reynolds
Electoral Year: 1905-1906
District: Wallace
Region or Province: Southland
[There is a James Reynolds, Labourer. Address: Wrey's Bush]

There are others at that address, but difficult to say if that is the place or house name.

Geoff

She's on her own here, but says she's married.

Sarah Ann Reynolds
Electoral Year: 1911
District: Wallace
Region or Province: Southland

Geoff

Shame this article doesnt mention son of James Reynolds or son of the late James Reynolds.

Poverty Bay Herald, Volume XXVI, Issue 8513, 10 May 1899, Page 3

Albert Reynolds, aged 20, was found dead at Wrey's bush, Southland. He was driving coal, and it is supposed fell from his cart and was run over.

New Zealand archives
Coroners inquests - Case files - Otago -Reynolds, Albert Frederick 1899 1899

Shame this article doesnt mention son of James Reynolds or son of the late James Reynolds.

Poverty Bay Herald, Volume XXVI, Issue 8513, 10 May 1899, Page 3

Albert Reynolds, aged 20, was found dead at Wrey's bush, Southland. He was driving coal, and it is supposed fell from his cart and was run over.

New Zealand archives
Coroners inquests - Case files - Otago -Reynolds, Albert Frederick 1899 1899

Hi gibbo

Yeah, that little bit extra is always missing :rolleyes:

Hi Geoff

Sarah Ann Reynolds will be my Great grandmother as she is buried in Wreys Bush , there is a James Reynolds buried in Wreys Bush but the age of that James is 22 years old and there is no record I can find of My Great grandfather James.

Thanks for what you have found out

Robert

Your got nice manners Robert :)

Did any of James and Sarah's children in the military WW1?

Just sometimes if they werent married a parent is noted as next of kin, usually the father but if the father has died the mother is noted or a sibling.

Birth: 1833
Woodnesborough
Kent, England
Death: Oct. 14, 1907, New Zealand

Family links:
Spouse: Sarah Ann Knott Reynolds (1834 - 1914)
Children:
Edward Golder Reynolds (1871 - 1958 ]
Albert Frederick Reynolds (1878 - 1899

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSvcid=185226&GRid=63264308&

1907/9352 Reynolds James 22Y

I see what you mean, it just doesnt add up does it :2fun::2fun:

The 1923 death fits for age!

Unless an error in age in the index for 1907

Hi Gibbo

I think the Sons would be to old to be WW1 ,I could try searching the WW1 records. It would have made things easier if people had a middle name instead of just James.

Hi Geoff

Yes Sarah will be my Great Grandmother and it seems strange to put in a census as Married,My Great grandfather on my Mothers side had on his Marriage certificate as Married ,and we have not been able to confirm this.

It is good to have people in this group that are able to help and point to other ways of solving problems.

Thanks again

Robert

Back