• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Where do I go from here? - Elizabeth Hunt

Hello
I am enquiring regarding some information on my Gt Gt Grandmothers family.
Her name was Elizabeth Hunt also known as Eliza born 1822 Dublin and she married
Moses Miles Llanfabon Nelson Glamorgan S Wales1839

Her fathers name was Stephen Hunt
Her brothers name was Nathaniel Hunt born 1829 Dublin who married Elizabeth Bowbeer 21/06/1853 in the Parish Church St Philip and St Jacob Bristol.

On the 1841 census Stephen and Nathaniel Hunt was living in Clifton Bristol

I am particularly interested in the Dublin connection if anyone can help or give me some information on how to find outmore I would be very grateful.

Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Do you know if the baptism of Elizabeth would have been RC? Also where does the 1822 come from? - age in census or age at marriage or age at death?

There is this record:

Baptism of ELIZABETHAM HUNT of N/R on 25 May 1820

Name ELIZABETHAM HUNT
Date of Birth N/R
Address N/R
Father STEPHANI HUNT
Mother MARIA WATT
Further details in the record
Sponsor 1 GULIELMO WHITE
Sponsor 2 MARIA HUNT

Book Number Page Entry Number Record_Identifier
2 317 9548 DU-RC-BA-383881

Dave

Hiya Dave
Thanks for your reply, the 1822 is the year Elizabeth was born in Dublin as far as we know and she died in 1862.
We are quite new at this so please could you explain what the N/R means and also the Sponsor 1 and Sponsor 2.
The reference number at the bottom of your message could you explain what that is exactly please.
We have quite a bit of information but still learning on the way to go about it.
Thanks for any help.
Delboy

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

N/R = Not Recorded

Sponsors/Godparents - HERE

The Parish records are recorded in books so the reference is Book 2 Page 317 Running number of baptisms 9548

DU=Dublin

RC= Roman Catholic

Very few early Irish records survived the 1922 fire in the Four Courts. It's the only record I can see so far in the Dublin area 1818 - 1826.

If you know the family was not RC you can rule that one out.

Dave

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi,

As Dave has said a lot of the records were destroyed in a fire but you could have a dig around in these sites if you havent already and see if anything comes up.

https://familysearch.org/

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

A shame about so many records been lost as a lot of us have irish ancestors and hit a wall with them.

During the Civil War, the Four Courts, where it was based, was seized and the repository building destroyed by detonating explosives and fire in June 1922, along with most of the records, some dating back to the thirteenth century :eek:

horse

Loyal Member
Hi

Not sure how much help this is..

In 1851 Elizabeth gives her birth date as 1824, which would make her about 15y when she married. She does confirm her birthplace as Dublin, Ireland.

I can't find her in 1841, they would have had a 1y old Mary by then. I can't find them in 1861 either, but there is a death in Merthyr for a Moses Alma Miles 1855, 11a, 162.

Stephen (father) is with Nathaniel in 1861, no sign of the mother in any of the censuses.

Geoff

Elwyn

There weren’t any RC baptismal records stored in the Four Courts and so those particular records were unaffected by the 1922 fire. There are gaps in early RC records but they exist for other reasons (lost, damaged, faded, etc).

Early baptismal RC records were often written in Latin. So Gulielmo White is just plain William White. Likewise Maria Hunt is Mary Hunt.

horse

Loyal Member
Have found Moses and Elizabeth (Eliza) in 1841, it doesn't give her birthplace but her birth date is given as 1821, closer to the original 1822.

1841 census
MILES, Moses 30 1811 Glamorgan
MILES, Eliza 20 1821
MILES, Mary 1 1840 Glamorgan

RD: Merthyr Tydfil
Civil Parish: Llanfabon
Address: Basin, Llanfabon, Garth
Glamorganshire

Piece: 1414, Book/Folio: 12/22, Page: 7

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Elwyn,

Thank you for clearing up what records were held in the Four Courts.

It's not known yet if the family Delboy is seeking was RC or not, so I was trying to explain why I had so few possible results to post.

Dave

Hello
Thanks for all your replies but was wondering whether when Nathaniel and his family went to Bristol maybe some records exist there so have posted on the English section as well. I am trying to find out more about his mother so maybe someone will come up with something from the Bristol area.
Thank you again for your help.
Delboy