• Welcome to Family History Forum πŸ”Ž

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource πŸ“š

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all πŸ”—

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Where to start

Family rumour............................I have a grandfather (born 1888) who allegedly emigrated to the USA but came home to fight for his country in 1914.
His service records put him at the western front in 1915 which would make him 27.
No sign of him in the 1911 census when he would have been 23.
After saying that, its a family story but it could all be wrong and he just left the family home and lived elsewhere in the UK.
Unsure of my next step, ships records?, searches in the USA?, any help in pointing me in the right direction would be grateful.

Thomas James Davies born Hereford 1888, Father Thomas mother Cecelia.
Here's where it gets wooly...............the family story says he left home under a cloud, reason unknown, date unknown, changed his surname to Davis and went to the states "looking for adventure"
My gut feeling is its just that, a family story with no real basis to it, he didnt want to spend the rest of his life in a back water so upped and left.
I pick him up record wise when he joined up in 1915, then nothing till he married my grandmother in 1930, i'm assuming after his demob he didnt go back to the USA for whatever reason.
At the time of his marriage he was a dock worker in Manchester.

Bootzy

Loyal Member
GRO has Thomas James Davies b Sept qtr 1888 Hereford vol 06A page 464 – mm Ashton

Cecelia Ashton baptised 19 March 1854 Farnworth Lancs – Richard & Cecelia Ashton – Bishop’s transcript ref Drl 2/397 – a Celia Baldwin married 1842 St Helen’s Lancs to Richard Ashton (her father William Baldwin) FHL 1469036 ref 2:39W10XF

1911 census has Thomas & Cecelia married 34 yrs – 7 children – 1 dec
cannot find marriage for Thomas to Cecelia around 1877 +- - only one I can find is in Hereford 1876 to either Ann Hughes or Caroline Whitney.

Only marriage I can find is Cecelia Ashton full age 28 May 1877 Christ Church Eccleston Lancs to a William Wildbore – her father Richard Ashton & his Frances Wildbore – Parish Register

they are on 1881 census at 141 Sutton road – he’s a grocer age 41, Cecelia is 27 and have a William B Wildbore age 10 months
William Brewit Wildbore baptised 4 July 1880 – William Wildbore & Cecelia – FHL 1657568 ref item 9 p 163 – he died 15 Dec 1881
some info on findagrave - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/205243405/william-brewit-wildbore

so between 1881 & 1891 she becomes Cecelia Davies – aha William dies 8 Jan 1884 Sutton Lancs age 44

one of the children on 1901 census Cecelia Davies age 5 – freebdm has
Cecelia Wildb?(au)re Davies reg 1886 April qtr Hereford Vol 6a page 47
she married - Cil? Davies to Harry Thomas Symonds 1907 Monmouthshire

so I am presuming that parents Thomas & Cecelia didn’t marry
Cecelia nee Ashton and Thomas also had daughter Annie Davies Jan qtr 1891 Hereford vol 06A page 581 – pos for her death April 1933 Hereford age 42

Thanks for that Bootzy, there's a lot in there that makes sense.
Your presumption that Cecilia and Thomas didn't marry is a surprise but given the circumstances isn't unheard of i suppose, a widow with children to look after.
The Wildbore connection will prove frustrating i think, Cecilia in Warrington and and Thomas in Hereford, working as a cooper so a permanent position in a factory i think so how they met when he lived and worked 100 miles away we will never know.
The one true fact is my grandfathers birth in 1888, the rest revolves around that I think.