• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Where to Start

I have a grandfather who emigrated to Australia to live with his family sometime after 1966 when my grandmother died.
I do know he died over there, was cremated, and his ashes shipped back to the UK but not sure when.
Any help in where to start with this would be very helpful.

George Banham Brown, born 1912 Manchester died 1980, lived in New South Wales.
Married to Eileen who died in 1966, I'm assuming he emigrated after this date.
I'm also assuming he lived with one of his children in Australia, presumably his Daughter Patricia Sheridan, may be his son George Brown or another daughter Kathleen.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
NSW Death BROWN GEORGE BANHAM 17987/1980 HARRY - 001 = Sydney - 29 July

The date may or may not be correct as there are errors in the index.

I cannot find George in 1968, 1972, 1977 or 1980 electoral roll in NSW with his middle name.

10x Patricia Sheridan in 1977 NSW roll. Any middle name?

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Passenger arrivals index, 1898 - 1972

There is no George Banham Brown on the list.

There is one George B Brown with an arrival after 1965, but he was born 1914 in USA.

Over 80x marriages in NSW for a Kathleen Brown. Kathleen's married name? Any middle name?

Last edited:
So.......................I've only recently found out his middle name was Banham, I suspect he never used it but he did use the letter "B".
Patricia Sheridan had a middle name but at this point in time I dont know what it is, documentation I have shows the letter "V" though.
My grandmothers maiden name was Eileen M Ward, born and died in the UK.
I think I may have another lead though.
Theres a message on the Family Search website on my uncles details, George Leslie Brown, from what looks like a grandson.
I've sent them a message via the website so i'll see if he picks it up.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
?
Births Jun Qtr 1939
Brown Patricia V - Ward - Barton 8c 709

Marriages Sep Qtr 1956
Brown Patricia V - Sheridan - Barton 10b 637
Sheridan William H - Brown - Barton 10b 637

William Henry Sheridan 1980 city, Kingsford-Smith, NSW
Patricia Veronica Sheridan 1980 city, Kingsford-Smith, NSW
George Brown 1980 city, Kingsford-Smith, NSW

Would need to see the image to check if at same address.

Something is not right. EDIT: Age should be 65.

SHERIDAN Patricia Veronica Death notice 09DEC2004 Death 85 late of Bossley Park, formerly of Macquarie Fields - Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 14DEC2004

Last edited:
Firstly.......................Gibbo...........................The Canada thing is a red herring, I cant see £10 pound poms to Oz then moving on elsewhere and as you say, sibling names are incorrect too.

DaveHam............................Births and marriage details for Patricia and William Sheridan are correct.
The 1980 details are also correct, the George Brown there is probably my grandfather and not a sibling, they did have children, my cousins, but we were all young kids in the 60s and I've not got that far with my search just yet.

Grandfather's death is the stumbling block at the moment.
Born in 1912 in Chorlton, Manchester, UK, his birth details seem to be 8c/1270 on the GRO records (mother Ashton) and I'm awaiting his birth certificate for this.
A cross reference seems to point to his death in 1980, putting him at 68 so can only assume he was still living with his daughter Patricia in Kingsford-Smith at the time.

Patricia's death on 9th December 2004 seems to fit too, although I cant find her on the Daily Telegraph dated 14th December.

I love the info you get on this site, loads of answers AND more question for the searches.................................BRILLIANT!!!!!

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Kingsford-Smith is the Federal Electoral Division and not the suburb of Sydney. The image would be on A... so check they are at the same address,. The name Brown is rather common.

It's the Daily Telegraph in Sydney, NSW and I think the age 85 is an error. That paper is only on-line up to 1954.

I remember my Auntie Pat and Uncle Bill going to Oz in the early 60s, I was around 8 I think, and I also remember Grandad going after my Gran died in 1966.
I'm pretty sure he would have moved in with Pat, his daughter, and not lived by himself, its when he died that I'm struggling with at the moment and such a common surname don't help.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Could be worth a try if you contact the NSW state library they should have a copy of the death notice. Not sure if they charge now or not but years ago they didn't.
Give them the details that you have ... https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/
SHERIDAN Patricia Veronica Death notice 09DEC2004 Death 85 late of Bossley Park, formerly of Macquarie Fields - Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 14DEC2004

Otherwise his death cert. should have a whole range of information on it. details on post #7.

Another twist and turn with this side of my family.
I'm looking at the parents of my grandmother, Eileen Mary Ward (GRO Birth Ref: 8e/1395) her parents are Margaret Eleanor Baker (GRO Birth Ref: 8e/910 ) and married a Kenneth A Ward (GRO Marriage Ref: 8e/1605)
I'm now looking for Kenneth or a Kenneth A and struggling to find his birth in the UK.
Any help, gratefully appreciated.

Bootzy

Loyal Member
Kenneth A Ward married Oct qtr 1912 Barrow Furness Lancs Margaret Eleanor Baker b June qtr 1891
Eileen M Ward b March qtr 1914

1939 census – 69 Potters Way Gateshead
Margaret E Ward b 30 March 1891 married unpaid dom duties with
Violet b 3 Sept 1912 single shorthand typist – later married Hills
Eileen M b 30 Dec 1913 single shorthand typist
Kathleen b 4 April 1919 single shorthand typist

Margaret b Jan qtr 1891 Barrow in Furness Vol 08E page 910 – mm Hodgson

George Baker married Oct qtr 1890 to Agnes Ann Hodgson – Barrow-in-Furness vol 8e page 1372

Agnes age 9 & her family at 15 Hawcote road Barrow in Furness in 1881
Agnes Baker & her family on 1911 at 98 Hawcoat Lane Barrow in Furness – includes Margaret Eleanor..

husband George Baker b 1864 died 29 April 1937 – buried Barrow Cemetery & Crematorium

Still Struggling..................................
I'm happy with the above information and cross referencing, everything fits together, the stumbling block here is my great grandfather Kenneth A Ward, I cant find anything on him other than his marriage to my great grandmother Margaret Eleanor Baker.
Would the marriage certificate give me anymore information, fathers name etc???
Any help with tracing his history would be appreciated.