• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Which if any Service was he in?

somerstown

Valued Member
How can I find out what (if any) service my father, Harold William Arber, (1902-1954) was in during the second world war please? I know that he was discharged from the Merchant Navy in about 1937 and cannot find anything else about him until he turns up in England in the American Red Cross in 1946. (I have contacted the ARC but no help there.) He were born 1902 and died 1954. I have tried the National Archives service on line but could not come up with anything there that was available on line and cannot get there to check further, so any suggestions need to be what I can see on line please.
I have his name, dates of birth, marriage death. His last job (Royal Mail Motor Mail Driver, London) start and finish (on death) dates. I have the fact that he was wearing an American Red Cross Field Directors uniform in a photo date stamped 1946. But can't get any info from the ARC or find out if or if not he was in the services during the Second World war as the MOD require his unit and number, both of which I am trying to find out!
Any suggestions please how to get this info?

Last edited:
This is probably so obvious that you have done it already but are there any relatives you can ask? Sorry if it is a silly suggestion.

somerstown

Valued Member
Sensible suggestion Lynda, at least for most families!
I was the only one from 6 brothers and 2 sisters put out for adoption (unsuccessfully) and when I eventually found my birth family discovered they were not speaking to each other and treated me much the same!
They each (a brother and sister had died by the time I found them, as had my parents) told me a little. But it took a lot of effort to even see a couple of photos of our father. Another brother has died since. None of the family will have further contact with me. (Most of them will not have contact with each other!)
I have written to everyone with the same surname in the UK telephone directories enclosing sae. Posted adverts in newspapers in the area in which he lived. Put adverts in family history magazines and on line. Visited the Local History Archives for his area and searched back issues of local newspapers. Written to the MOD.
I have traced my paternal line back to 1688 and know a fair bit about the lives of many of my ancestors. But of my father I know very little beyond what I have put on here. I started this search about 15yrs ago. Stopped after 5yrs as I although I could find out about other family members, of my father, which was/is my main interest I was getting nowhere. But having a little more time now am trying again
Thank you again for your suggestion Lynda, which in most cases would be an excellent one.