• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Which regiment?

My gran's brother, William Halliday was killed in 1917 during WW1. According to records he enlisted in Milnathort and was in the Seaforth Highlanders. However, on the monument there (ie Milnathort) , the only Halliday is under the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Have I missed something or is this an error? How can I check?

Thanks, Jim

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Combatants were frequently transferred between Regts. If one was depleted, whoever was left were transferred to a similar regt.

It maybe possible to wok out the battle that the Seaforth Highlanders were in. Google the Battalion, and see what happened in WW1.

Steve.:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
William Halliday.

Service No:S/40902.
Date of Death:22/08/1917.
Regiment - Service:Seaforth Highlanders 8th Bn.
Panel Reference - Panel 132 to 135 and 162A.
TYNE COT MEMORIAL. West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

Steve.:)

Many thanks all

Data provided consistent with what I know but still not sure why he is not listed on the Milnathort memorial under Seaforth Highlanders.

on the page: http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/alliedarmy-view.php?pid=7007
it gives some brief movements of the 8th battalion but no mention of mergers etc with Argyll and Sutherland highlanders.

(However, on the page, an individual named Lovegrove (also) served with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders before moving to Seaforth.)

As Halliday clearly died while serving in the Seaforth highlanders, is it possible he initially enlisted in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders? How would I track down such information?

Thanks, Jim

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I didn't think I could help you Jim but I decided to look at TNA even though I don't have much experience navigating it.

Reference: WO 372/8/220982
Description:
Medal card of Halliday, William
Corps Regiment No Rank
Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 4072 Private
Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders S/40390 Private
Seaforth Highlanders S/40902 Private
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6399995

That probably means 3x Attestation. Those records may or may not survive. I have no access to check.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Reference: WO 372/12/143193
Description:
Medal card of Lovegrove, Arthur S F
Corps Regiment No Rank
Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 302443 Private
Seaforth Highlanders 235272 Private
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

No dates but I take it they are listed in order.

Don't know why the very different service numbers.

Having two separate numbers when a soldier moved from the original unit they enlisted in to another unit is not unusual, my late uncle also had two different numbers on the War Office paperwork that I saw. Regimental Museums are often a good source of information, and I'd always recommend a visit to them if it was possible, because one aspect of regimental history is the 'Battle Honours' the regiment earned. Trust this is of use.
Brian

Dave, my only recollection of 'S/' does not apply to Infantry Regiments. My late uncle was in the R,A,S,C., although he enlisted in the R.A. Within the R.A.S.C. S = Service; and those that had T/ in front of their numbers were 'Transport'.
That's why I suggested the Regimental Museum, they would surely know the answer.
Brian

Many thanks all.

Yes I believe S could mean service as this would be consistent with battalion movements on the day he was killed at Ypres.

I think the reason is clear now why he appears on the monument in Milnathort as Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders as this will be the regiment with whom he enlisted.

Not sure if its possible to tell from the uniform as assume the photo I include was after enlisting.

regards, Jim

Attachments

Jim, I can only add that The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, now incorporated into the Royal Regiment of Scotland, would have a wealth of archives within their Regimental Museum and, like all Infantry Regiments, extremely proud of their past achievements throughout history. They were in Aden in 1967 led by Colin Mitchell who became known as "Mad Mitch", a tough regiment to say the least.
Brian

very many thanks all. I've learned quite a lot form this. Information is available but its handy to know where/how to look for it.

The sporran makes it clear that he was in the Argyll and Sutherland highlanders (hence the assignation on the memorial at Milnathrort) (but he was later move to the Seaforth Highlanders and he was with them when he was killed.

Regards, Jim