• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Which site is best for value for money?

ianto73

Valued Member
Hi Folks,
I'm not sure which site provides the best information, I've looked at what is on offer but, being me, am not sure which I should really try. "GR" I've tried and am not impressed, and my conclusion is that they are all much the same. I would appreciate any tips/opinions as I know that you are all the experts, for which I thank you for.

Brian

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
The best site is the one that contains the most relevant information for your research.
Each company hosts some different records that the other companies do not host.
It is down to the individual to check what is offered and see which company will best meet their needs and requirements.

Having stated that do not forget there is a huge amount of information supplied as booklets or cds by family history societies and small independent companies where no subscription is required.
Cheers
Guy

Good question Ian, and relevant to me (and no doubt others) with very limited funds.
Also that is a good tip Guy. I have got some books and booklets from a couple of helpful FHS. Also worth seeing what small local museums have on offer.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I think you have to be very lucky to get all you will want with just one subscription.
At the moment I have both the major ones but as most of the information I now need is pretty obscure, I havent found much lately so I will not be continuing with them.
For some links to get you back to the 1800-1900 era you will need some access to the 1911 census but once you are past that hurdle then virtually any would do as far as census info is concerned.
Mind you I am a little concerned with A-------.co.uk as I reported some errors and they waouldnt accept as they said they would go with what was on the forms, they may be right but not much help in a search if its just plain wrong!
You will have to bear in mind that with any subscription you may have to be a bit creative in your searches due to the many errors on the census forms themselves.
The other suggestion I have for you is if you go for a subscription store the information on your pc and back it up regularly, you may need to come back to the info in the future, you just never know.

Peter

another source of info are the free bmd sites for diffrent areas, for example i personally have used the staffordshire/durham/lancashire bmd and they are really good,i got my info on those sites than i did from ancestry. also the sites nearly always give details of local family history societies and other info.
suex

I mostly use Ancestry as it allows you to access lots of different records.

When I first started my family tree a couple of years ago I used Free BMD and familysearch (this site provides a lot of useful information) Both are free and I still use them from time to time. :)