• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WHITEHEAD/ HAYES in Birmingham

zhunter71

I wondered if anyone could help. I'm having trouble tracing my Great Grandad's two sisters, i have their birth certificates.

One sister was born Catherine Whitehead Hayes in 1863 and her sister Adela Hayes was born in 1872, although her name on the Census appears as Adelaide.

I can only find Catherine on one census, 1871 as Kate Hayes and i can only find Adela on two census, 1881 and 1891 as Adelaide Hayes. ALl showing them living in Ruddington, Notts at that time.

I cannot find any trace of them after that. Their parents were William Hayes and Sarah Whitehead, who it appears were never actualy married.

My Grandma remembers two of my Grandads Aunts (which seems it must be Catherine and Adela) moving to Birmingham and working as teachers as she recalls a family member visiting them around the 1930's. But she cant remember anything else, whether they were married, etc .

I'm totally stuck, any help from anyone would be much appreciated!

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi,

There is a Kate Hayes born abt 1862 Nottinghamshire occ kitchen maid
at Coombe Rd Brooklands - civil parish Bakewell Derbyshire in 1881.

There is a marriage
Adelaide Whitehead to William Henry Read Sept 1904 Nottingham ref 7b 587

then 1911 census

1911 England Census

Name:
William Henry Read

Age in 1911:

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1881

Birth Place:
Nottingham, England

Civil parish:
Nottingham

County/Island:
Nottinghamshire

England

Street Address:
4 Whittier Road Sneinton

Horse Driver

married 6 years - 2 children 1 alive

Registration District Number:

Sub-registration district:
Nottingham South East

ED, institution, or vessel:

Piece:

William Henry Read 30
Adelaide Read 34 Nottingham
Vincent Edmund Henry Read 2 Sneinton

I notice that Sarah is called Whitehead, housekeeper to William Hayes and Adelaide is Adelaide Hayes Whitehead on 1881 census RG11-3339-71-7

Last edited:

zhunter71

thanks all for all those posts..!

Firstly the marriage of Adealide Whitehead to William Henry Read in 1904 i had eliminated after finding them on the 1911 census and it giving her date of birth around 1877, so i took it that she is the Adelaide Whitehead born september quarter 1875 in Nottingham ?

The Kate Hayes in Bakewell in 1881 could well be the right one as there doesnt seem to be any other Kaye Hayes's born around that time in Notts, but after 1881 she disappears again unless she is one of the Kaye Hayes who married in Chesterfield in eithet 1885 or 1908 which i'll look at. Chesterfield would make sense as thats where her brother William Henry Whitehead Hayes had moved to.

The surname is causing a problem with her mum not being married, i wondered if they had reverted back to Whitehead's.......her mum was born Sarah Whitehead 30 Aug 1838 but i havent been able to find her death either. I thought it was the Sarah Hayes died in Chesterfield 1914 but after buying the cert she was the wrong one. :(