• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Who was he??

Lynn68

Would appreciate some help with a problem. :(

My maternal grandfather Norman Edward Sandiford married Caroline Daisy Bennett June 1925.

Mum always maintained that he died before she was born so that wouldve been the Jan/Feb 26 as she was born 19/10/1926. The problem im having is no death cert for him. I know he was a RNVR sub lieutenant but thats all. Ive sent for their marriage cert but having to wait ages due to a "backlog". Im wondering if he did a runner when Daisy announced she was pregnant.

I have come across a N E Sandiford coming from America in April 1925 on the Berengaria listed as a seaman but not sure if thats him. As I dont have a dob for him I cant be sure if he was born here in the UK or overseas.

I did a search last year for him but think I picked the wrong N E Sandiford so starting from scratch again. Any suggestions would be fantastic thanks

When he arrived from the states, he was aged 30, last place of permanent residence - USA. He was intending to live at 13 St John's Wood Terrace, London

there is a death in the GRO Consulate Indices (ref 59 - 136) in the years 1961/5 for Norman E Sandiford aged 70 in Cotignac, France which tallies with his age on arrival in the UK if it is in 1965
The earliest electorial roll I can see is 1929 for Daisy Caroline and Jean Daisy living in Camden. I cant see one for Norman.

Lynn68

Thanks Dave, the only bit of that info I didnt have was the French connection.

Im not sure about it tho as mum was adamant he died in 1926. Will keep looking and wait for the marriage cert that at least will give me his dads name and place of residence at the time of the marriage.

Im currently searching records for the RNVR so that might throw up additional info.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name:
Norman Sandiford

Arrival Date:
6 Mar 1928

Birth Date:
abt 1894

Ethnicity/ Nationality:
English

Port of Departure:
London, England

Port of Arrival:
New York, New York

Ship Name:
Ausonia

Name:
Norman Sandiford

Arrival Date:
11 Mar 1929

Birth Date:
abt 1894

Ethnicity/ Nationality:
English

Port of Departure:
London, England

Port of Arrival:
New York, New York

Ship Name:
Ausonia

Name:
Norman Sandiford

Arrival Date:
28 Jan 1930

Birth Date:
abt 1894

Ethnicity/ Nationality:
English

Port of Departure:
London, England

Port of Arrival:
New York, New York

Ship Name:
Ausonia

He is again in 1931 on same ship aged 37 years service on ship 25. Means he joined at aged 12 or about or 1907 if he was born about 1895 so being British he may be on 1901 census

edit still serving on same ship in 1931 and 1932

Last edited:

Lynn68

Thanks Dave, I now have conflicting information with the stuff ive got from the RNVR records. He cant have been in 2 places at once so have to decide which is the correct N E Sandiford :eek:

I need more info about him which will only come when I get the marriage cert, as I dont know for certain yet his dob or place of birth.

But it may be that he did the dirty on mum and gran and ran off before she was born!

gortonboy

Loyal Member
hi,,,the chap in the merchant navy is Edward Norman Sandiford b 1895 in Manchester,

1901 census

53, Chatsworth Avenue, Walton On The Hill

County:Lancashire

SANDIFORD, Arthur Head Married M 34 1867 Hosiery Buyer
Radcliffe, Lancashire
SANDIFORD, Annie M Wife Married F 36 1865
Neatown, Montgomeryshire
SANDIFORD, Edward N Son M 6 1895
Manchester, Lancashire
SANDIFORD, Mary O Daughter F 3 1898
Eye, Suffolk

Lynn68

Thanks for the above info on Norman/Edward I really appreciate the help.

Finally I have the marriage cert for Norman and Daisy....not that it helps tho!!! Both ages listed as 32 so that would place the birth about 1893 same as grandmother Daisy, his occupation is a Yacht Captain!!! and a Batchelor. Father listed as Edward Sandiford and his occupation was and I think ive translated it right as Retailer. Both Norman and Daisy living at 2 Canfield Gardens (again I think thats what it says).

My next step is to contact Trinity Church in Hampstead where they got married see if they can help. :(

Witnesses to the marriage are Alice Bennett and S G Bennett with none from Normans side of the family...im beginning to wonder if he was born abroad ...have tried searching the electoral roles for 1925 but fairly new to this lark and struggling so help would be really appreciated from more experienced members.

Ive also sent off for mums birth cert to see if that sheds any further light on the very elusive Mr Sandiford. I do have a pic so know what he looks like at least.