• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Whose responsible for headstones

gibbo

Loyal Member
Whilst away recently we were at a cemetery and talking to the woman there we asked if anyone could prop this particular headstone back up. It didnt appear to be broken just fallen over. She said they cant, the repair of headstones is the responsibility of the family.

Im not sure if this applies to all cemeteries but it could explain why some graves deteriorate as the families cant afford to have them repaired or no family lives near by to know the headstone is damaged to begin with.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think this bounces around between the church, families and the town councils.:confused:
I know the town council in my home town, have made repairs and tidied up the church graveyard. But it has been in conjunction with the church and volunteers.

Steve.:)

gibbo

Loyal Member
I wonder how things stand with some historical graves been out on private property in the middle of the bush. Are these historical graves "protected" or are the people who own the property able to do what they want with/to them?

leefer

Loyal Member
Its health and safety i reckon Gibbo.

Anyone getting hurt lifting a gravestone etc would be suing the local authorities.........or so the local authorities would have you believe.

Guy

Valued Member
Website
freespace.virgin.net
In England the family owns the gravestone and is responsible for it.
However-
A few years ago many councils went on a health and safety fiasco pulling down gravestones. That all stopped when a court ruled they had to re-instate the gravestones they desacrated.
Cheers
Guy

woodlander

Valued Member
Recently (over the last couple of years) I noticed the "leaning" gravestones in 3 local-to-me graveyards (Lancashire) have red/white tape on them and notices nearby referring to families' responsibility for stability etc. otherwise they are laid flat (time limit on notices, forget what it was)due to health/safety.

gibbo

Loyal Member
It's a shame really. With Australia been a relatively "new" country we have had a chance to preserve our history from the start yet it has been let go in a lot of ways.

I know the government and the families couldnt afford to preserve ALL these pioneering headstones ........ still sad to see them fall apart tho. They are part of Australia's history and belong to our pioneering ancestors.

:eek:Maybe im just to sentimental when it comes to things like this:rolleyes:

joaning

Loyal Member
Some years ago, I found my Great x2 Grandparents grave and headstone in the corner of a farmers paddock. It used to have a church there, but it was demolished and many headstones were broken.The whole section was derelict and run down. I believe it is now looked after by the local historical society.I think the councils have a duty to take care of them, at one time fine defaulters were sent to them to clean up rubbish etc. but I don't think they touched headstones.
Joan:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ptjw7 FHUK General Chat Room 2
G FHUK Funny Forum 46