• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

why did they move

I reckon you'll be heading back before your 2 weeks are up.
I often wish I was in Oz. I love the Aussie approach to life, your humour and lifestyle.
Why on earth would you come back to England, even for a couple of weeks.

England, the land of political correctness.

I like the speech your Prime minister gave a while ago, I'm sorry I can't remember his name at the moment.

Steve.:)

we can get a beer can boat from that race they have up in NT do you get sea sick. night all Glen

:2fun: the only thing wrong with that is they race in a DRY riverbed, dont know how it would go on real water!!:2fun: :2fun:

Yep im heading to bed as well
nite everyone

gibbo

I often wish I was in Oz. I love the Aussie approach to life, your humour and lifestyle.

I like the speech your Prime minister gave a while ago, I'm sorry I can't remember his name at the moment.

Sorry, former Prime Minister John H.

So much for me heading to bed. England is probably as fascinating to us as Australia is to you. I love Australia but i would dearly love to go to England to see and learn things about my ancesters. To be able to see in real life would be so different to reading about it.

gibbo

So much for me heading to bed. England is probably as fascinating to us as Australia is to you. I love Australia but i would dearly love to go to England to see and learn things about my ancesters. To be able to see in real life would be so different to reading about it.

gibbo

Gibbo, that 'real life' does not exist anymore. Some of the buildings do, but 'that life' only exists in the mind.
Most of the houses and streets are gone, the Mills demolished, the coal pits closed. Even some of the churches are turned into bars and night clubs. Not to mention those that have been demolished or left to rot and deteriorate.
The areas of the cities that were considered poor areas years ago, are now trendy and expensive.
You can get a feel for the areas our ancestors lived in, but it has changed so much.

Gibbo, that 'real life' does not exist anymore. Some of the buildings do, but 'that life' only exists in the mind.
Most of the houses and streets are gone, the Mills demolished, the coal pits closed. Even some of the churches are turned into bars and night clubs. Not to mention those that have been demolished or left to rot and deteriorate.
The areas of the cities that were considered poor areas years ago, are now trendy and expensive.
You can get a feel for the areas our ancestors lived in, but it has changed so much.

I know things have to move forward but its sad that so much history has gone. I know i found a old house on the net once that was in England, i wouldnt have stayed there a night, i think it might have had spooks, anyway it was about 400 years old! For us, been in a "new" country that is old. If only them walls could talk.

gibbo

I'm sure most english people's view of australia isn't accurate either. After all most australians are city dwellers not living in the outback contacting each other by radio and shearing the sheep while the Kangaroos bounce by. There are parts of old england scotland wales and ireland that still survive. There are still little mesters in Sheffield. Sheffield still makes the most scalpels, the most ice skates in the world. Maybe many of the big steel works have gone but there still are steel workers in Sheffield. I can travel round Sheffield and find many of the houses that my husbands ancestors lived in though some went with the bombing in WW2. In rural areas even less has changed physically though these days its hard for young couples to afford anywhere to live as townies have put the prices up. I went to see my grandparents house in Penrith and it was just the same as I remember as a child.

Back