• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Widow and offspring

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Just found a strange baptism in that the father is not named but was on an earlier one.
James Benjamin Wright baptised 23/01/1832 father James Wright mother Maria
Benjamin Wright baptised 8/2/1836 no father mother Maria.
This fits with the 1841 and 1851 census for both children.
I would have thought the father would have been listed even if he had died or is that wishful thinking - all in Great Yarmouth.

Peter

Robesur

I would guess that the first Benjamin was born whilst she was married to James. Both James and Benjamin died or possibly they separated and she called herself a widow. She then had a child by someone who she was not prepared to name or possibly if she had several partners after the separation from James, she did not know which was the father.

jay

Valued Member
I have come across some baptisms where the father was named but not the mother. Perhaps the clerk couldn't be bothered with all the details?

jay.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Both the First Benjamin - James and Benjamin are with Maria in the 1841 and 1851 census which is why its so odd. I accept that Benjamin may have been born after the husband James had died.
Not found any marriages in the Great Yarmouth area pre 1837 although lots of baptisms on line.

peter

Robesur

Sorry, I was wrong in my first reply indicating that the first child died, as I was looking for two Benjamins and not a James and a Benjamin. I agree now that James and Benjamin were both with Maria in 1841 and 1851, however I cannot see your problem as Benjamin was presumably conceived and born after the death of husband James or possibly was the result of an extra marital affair and James refused to be named as father at the time of birth.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
I agree with your prognosis but I just wondered if there was something going on that I had never heard of(nothing unusual there) at least it narrows the time period of the father of James.

Peter