• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Will "I hereby exclude all others"

I've obtained a number of wills in my family tree hunt. They are all for family in Tyrone in Northern Ireland.

One important one lists all the children as beneficiaries except for the eldest child. At the end the parent says "I hereby exclude all others not mentioned in above will from any share or part of my estate". Now, I know that the eldest child had a falling out with the rest of the family and that can explain why they weren't mentioned as a beneficiary. However, I was wondering whether the exclusion is a specific reference to this too? Was the parent trying to make sure the child couldn't make a claim afterwards?

I haven't seen such a phrase in the other wills I have and wondered whether the phrase is unusual? All the wills I have date from late 1800s/early 1900s except for this one which was 1940, so perhaps it was a legal development that such a phrase started being used?

Any thoughts welcome.