• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Will revelation

liz Stokes

I was reading the will of my ggggrandfather who was a yeoman farmer who had done well in life. He had signed it in a very neat and precise hand. He had married twice and I had been provided with a marriage certificate for his second marriage from which I am decended from. Looking at the certificate I noticed that that the groom had 'made his mark' meaning that he had been illiterate. I had seen other documents at the Records Office, some written in his own hand. It was then obvious that the marriage certificate was the wrong couple - same names but not the right ones. I then had to do a bit of work sorting it out and eventually found the correct one. It just goes to prove that you have to be so careful not to go down the wrong line.
Liz

Tom

Yes Liz - it is always worth trying to look at primary sources where possible :)

I have a will for a chap in the early 1800s where he signed it very neatly but a couple of months later wrote a codical where he had a very shaky signature and then an even later codical where he signed with a shaky X. Obviously his illness was getting worse.

liz Stokes

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply. I think that what feel had happened to your chap was very likely. It would be so easy just to accept everything on face value, indeed, 'make' it fit. I have to admit that I have accepted some things and as my skills improve I will go back and try and substantiate them. I just wish I had more time!
Liz