• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

william albert west

From
England
hi
can any one help!
looking for any military history on william albert west born in maidenhead berks,
believe he survived the war with the royal berks regiment but not 100% sure , i have a picture with him and his 3 brothers in uniform.
he is my great grandfather

thanks andy

Hello Andy,

welcome to FHUK.

So far I've not been able to find anything for you. I hope a UK-based member has better luck.

Regards,

Dave

hi Andi,

Can you give us any more information such as date of birth ?

When faced with a WW1 problem I always start with the Commonwealth War Grave Commission site (CWGC) to see if they survived the war.

There are 4 possible matches but not very strong. Two W.A Wests and two William Albert Wests but none of them in the Berkshire regiment

I have found another possible individual but it all depends on his age.
There is a William West, with no middle name recorded, who aged 38 in 1914 reattested to the RAMC. He had previously been in the Berkshire regiment and was time expired on the National reserve at the outbreak of the war. His medical records give a home address as 5 Paradise Place Church St St Ebbes Oxford

He worked mostly in a military hospital in Heddington Oxford, and was discharged at the end of the war in woking Berkshire

If this rings any bells? wonderful ! If not will keep searching.

An alternative is to contact the Regimental archives, and send them a copy of your photo and ask them to release his military records to you

hope thats helpful

dochines

hi Andi,

I have found another possible individual but it all depends on his age.
There is a William West, with no middle name recorded, who aged 38 in 1914 reattested to the RAMC. He had previously been in the Berkshire regiment and was time expired on the National reserve at the outbreak of the war. His medical records give a home address as 5 Paradise Place Church St St Ebbes Oxford

He worked mostly in a military hospital in Heddington Oxford, and was discharged at the end of the war in woking Berkshire

dochines

Hi
Image 32052 on Ancestry shows William had a 2nd name - Ralph, same William as same address, 5 Paradise Place. His wife was Rachel Amelia

dave

hi guys thanks for your efforts

I'm doing a sneaky at work and cant get on ancestry for a few days,

william albert west born april 1898 in maidenhead berkshire

son of henry joshua west (b 1865/6 port elizabeth eastern cape south africa)

brothers:
henry west b 1890
frederick joesph west b 1893
joeseph west b 1893
christopher west b 1900
edward west b 1902
possibility that edward andchristopher lied about ages to join up as all five were said to have served together presumably in the royal berks

i have a picture of henry senior and junior, william ,frederick and christopher in uniform but dont know how to post it on here ,

thanks again guys

thanks braveheart.

i have a few regimental numbers to check, judging by the photograph william had 2 wound stripe's and one of those numbers i came across had his last regiment as the labour corps "109928",going by the wound stripes i wonder if he was unfit for front line service and moved to the labour corps..

i have also made the mistake of searching for a private when he was a lance corporal - oops!

View attachment 652

the wests

back row: cristopher / frederick
front row: william (my ggrandfather) henry (senior my gggrandfather) henry (junior)

Hi Andy,great photo that,and you must be proud to have it.
Why not post it on the old photo thread as well.....some people may miss it on here.
Good luck with your research with the Southern Highlanders.

Back