• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William and George Neal, possible Civil War soldiers

My great great grandfather William Neal was born in Wootton, Lincolnshire in 1828, his brother George abt 3 years later. Both appear on 1851 Uk census, but have vanished by 1861, despite William's wife Ann (nee Dinnis)still being described as "wife". Rumour had it that one or both went to the US and may have got caught up in the Civil War before they could send for their families. Wiliam's last child,Annie, was born in the UK abt 1860, which ties in with the dates. William never came back and the family was left in poverty in Lincolnshire. His son Charles(b 1853) was my gt grandfather. We have no further knowledge of George, either. I found a Captain William D Neal in the 5th Ohio Vol. infantry who looked a lot like him and died at the Battle of Kennesaw Mtn. (we were always told he served in the Yankee army)However, I've been unable to establish whether this William Neal was born in England, and the records don't seem to be available on line. Anybody got any bright ideas about how I could find out more? (I found several William Neals on both sides, by the way, none with English connections so far,though.)My cousin and I both spotted a George William Neal listed in a wagon train convoy dated 1850 and headed for the Cal. Gold Rush(it was on the US Who Do You think You Are, for Sarah Jessica Parker, an a prompt exchange of e mails followed, but dates don't fit exactly!) Anybody got any ideas that might help? Brenda, Derby, England.