• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

William Arthur Sager/Sagar

Hi. I hoping that there is someone who is researching the Sagar family (mainly from Lancashire) that may be able to help me with a "sticky" problem. I am looking for a birth record for William Arthur Sagar/Sager @ 1852 in Eaton Bishop. Herefordshire. William was a policeman all his life rising to Police Inspector. He married Nancy Proctor in 1882 Blackburn Lancashire. I have managed to trace him on 1881 census as "boarding in Blackburn", 1891 census now married living in Blackburn with his wife Nancy and 3 children, 1911 census again living with his wife Nancy and children. What I can't find is any birth record or census returns prior to 1881. On his marriage cert it names his father as William Sagar, "gentleman". I have no idea as to who William Arthur's mother is. I am led to believe that there is a connection with READ in Lancashire and have managed to find a William Sagar b @ 1815 in Read who, it appears, never married as was in service all his life (until 1881 census) as was a Butler to Mary Jewitt/Jowitt. This could possibly be William Arthur's father???? Here again I have traced his life through all the census returns except for 1871 which could be vital to me trying to solve this mystery. Is it a coincidence that on 1881 census William Sagar is now a retired Butler living St Briavels, Glos with a man called Mark Downses? who was born in Eaton Bishop, the same place as William Arthur was supposed to have been born. If any of this rings a bell with anyone and can actually answer one of my questions please contact me.