• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

William COX

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

William COX b. abt 1797 England

St John's Parramatta
Page 28
No 110
William Cox F A 28 otp Parramatta
Adah Proctor Harrax F otp Parramatta
Married in Church by License with consent of Governor
Thirteenth December 1827 By me Samuel Marsden, Chaplain
Both signed [Harrex]
Witnesses: Joseph ? Tabor Sen. ?, Frances Tabor of Sydney

The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW : 1803 - 1842) - Saturday 9 January 1841 p.1
MRS. W. COX
INTIMATES to the Inhabitants of Parramatta and its vicinity, that her Shop will be closed until further notice, in consequence of the illness of Mr. Cox.

Reg# V1841762 25B/1841 COX WILLIAM AGE 44

The Australian (Sydney, NSW : 1824 - 1848 ) - Saturday 16 January 1841 p.2
DIED.
On the 7th instant, at his residence, Church-street, Parramatta, Mr. William Cox, Mercer and Draper, aged 44 years, much and deservedly respected.

The Sydney Herald (NSW : 1831 - 1842) - Tuesday 12 January 1841 p.2
FUNERAL Sermon.-On Sunday evening last, the Rev. J. McKenny preached a funeral sermon in the new Wesleyan Chapel, Church street, over the late Mr. William Cox, the draper, of Church-street, Parramatta. The attendance was numerous and respectable. The performance of the choir was much admired. Mr. Cox was one of the first improvers of the town, and is regretted by a large circle of friends and acquaintance.

Cox William 6 ? Jan 1841 44y Parramatta: St John's 1

There are several trees that don't make sense (as usual). :rolleyes:

Some have pob as 1795 Richmond, NSW, some Devon, some just England. One has him as a convict on the 'Coromandel' in 1820.

Adah was born 9 Jan 1808 in Parramatta. I'm not sure what the 'F' in the marriage register means. It could mean 'Free' as in came free, ie. not convict and if it means 'Full' as in full age then no need for that with 28. Perhaps the 'F' for Adah is an assumption. I also don't know what the 'A' means.

Married by consent I presume because Adah was under age and her father had died two years earlier. Unless William was a convict and only one of six trees says so.

I have one clue. A son William has a middle name Coleman. The names on Adah's side are HARREX (variations), TABER/TABOR, MUNFORD/MUMFORD, MEDHURST.

There is more than one William COX in Sydney 1820-1841. One and his son are both JPs and they appear in newspapers as 'William Cox, Esq., J.P. ...' etc.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited: