• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Dorward

Hi,

just registered today in the hope of finding any information on William Dorward b1892 Pendleton, Manchester.

William emmigrated to Australia around 1911 with other Dorward family members (mainly the men). As he never returned to England, i am curious to know, whether he married and had a family that are still living today. Any help will be very much appriecated thanks,

Kind regards,

Appl3jack.

mollipops

Hi Appl3jack

Not sure if you are still active on this site but I just joined and noticed your post.

William DORWARD died in 1973 in Elsternwick Victoria aged 81, son of Wm & Eliza nee HANCOCK (reg 14552). His brother John also died in Victoria.

A Wm DORWARD married Florence DAWSON in 1916 in Victoria (reg 7331). She died in St Kilda in 1972 aged 74, dau of John DAWSON & Katherine HERMAN (reg 14004).

Not sure if this is the same Wm, you would need to order his death/marriage cert to be certain.

Good luck :)

Cheers
Cherilyn

emily747

Hi Appl3jack,
I believe the William Dorward that you are referring to is my grandfather. Certainly, Mollipops has provided the correct details about him.

I am interested to know your connection with him - there are some things about the move to Australia that we have not quite understood.

During WWI he was involved with munitions making and returned to England for some time for that purpose. I do not know whether he enlisted.

His eldest daughter (my mother) is still alive and well.

Looking forward to hearing more

Regards
Emily747

Hi Appl3jack,
I believe the William Dorward that you are referring to is my grandfather. Certainly, Mollipops has provided the correct details about him.

I am interested to know your connection with him - there are some things about the move to Australia that we have not quite understood.

During WWI he was involved with munitions making and returned to England for some time for that purpose. I do not know whether he enlisted.

His eldest daughter (my mother) is still alive and well.

Looking forward to hearing more

Regards
Emily747
Hi Emily
Looks as if Appl-jack has not returned to the site after his initial post.
There is a tree on Ancestry which goes further back in time, but follows one of Williams siblings, not William. Tree owner Traciedonz1. I can send her a message if you want to contact her but have not got access to a----y
dave

Hi Emily

If you make another post, (say hello to a new member or acknowledge this post,) you will then be able to send me a private message. If you send me your email address, I'll pass it on to Tracie
dave

Hi, I found this forum on William Dorward via Google, so I decided to join and add what I know, and hopefully learn a little more.
William Dorward (b. 1853) was the son of George (b 1811) and Margaret (nee Webster, b.1812). He was born in Monifieth, Forfar. He was initially an iron foundry worker, like his father (a hammerman), and his elder brother, John, who was an iron moulder. Later, he became a railway pointsman.
Around the late 1870's he moved to Salford, Manchester and married Eliza Hancock, and in 1881 they were living in Heap Bridge with son Fred (1) and Eliza's son Frank (4). Later, amongst other children, they had a daughter Jessie (1883)
Meanwhile, in 1873, William's brother James (1849) married Ann Findlay in Broughty Ferry, Dundee, and in 1874 William Webster Dorward was born. William Webster Dorward moved to Salford and married his cousin, Jessie, in 1898. They are my great-grandparents.
William Dorward (1853) emigrated to Australia in 1912, destination Melbourne. He died in Bourke, Australia, in 1921.
Frank Hancock emigrated in 1901, from Plymouth to Freemantle.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Ernest