• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Gee born about 1826 in Heaton Norris

Chris Godfrey

From
England
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find some information about my 4th great grandfather a William Gee. He was born around 1826 in Heaton Norris. He was married to a Mary Ann Gee (potentially Hurst). I'm trying to confirm these details as well as confirming his parents as I have hit a huge brick wall.

Thank you in advance for any help and information.
Kind regards
Christopher Godfrey

1841/51/61 census.

1841, Mother, Priscilla Gee, c1791. n.b.i.c.
1851, Mother, Priscilla Gee. c1798, Manchester, .Lancs. (Widow).
1861. No Mother, wife Mary Ann. Children, William 8,, Alfred 6, Martha 4 , Elizth. 1, all born Stockport.

Can't find a marriage to Mary Ann, born c.1830/31, Stockport.

Manchester, England, Non-Conformist Births and Baptisms, 1758-1912
Name: William Gee
Birth Date: 16 Apr 1825
Birth Place: Lancashire, England
Baptism Date: 22 Jun 1825
Baptism Place: Macclesfield, Lancashire, England
Church: Mount Tabor Methodist New Connexion Chapel
Father Name: William Gee. Occ. Weaver of Stockport.
Mother Name: Priscilla Gee

Steve.:)

Last edited:
Thank you both for this information. Do you know the date of birth for William's father or where I could locate it. Very much appreciate this help and information

Looking on the GRO site re the births registrations of the children mentioned in the 1861 Census, Alfred, Martha and Elizabeth all have mmn Kershaw.

Marriage
William Gee/Mary Ann Kershaw
Mar 1851 Stockport 19 295

The marriage took place at Stockport Parish Church 3 March 1851. His father William Gee Boilermaker and hers James Kershaw Cotton Spinner. Witnesses John Gee James Wild.

Image on fmp

There is a burial in Stockport of a William Gee of Heaton Norris 23 March 1828 aged 42, which gives a birth year of c1786.

I can only find one baptism in the Stockport area which seems to fit

William Gee born 1 January 1786, baptised 15 February 1786 at Dukinfield Old Chapel (Prestbyterian) Stockport. Parents Benjamin and Peggy Gee of Clay Hill in the parish of Ashton under Lyne

I'm not saying this is your William, just a possibility.

Back