• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William H JONES

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks gibbo.

Not close to a main line so I have enough for now thanks.

For the past few weeks I've been fighting a duel with a brush turkey. He keeps stripping all the garden of leaves, mulch, wood chips and making a mound or two and I keep replacing the material on the garden. The brush turkey may yet win.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thanks gibbo.

Not close to a main line so I have enough for now thanks.

For the past few weeks I've been fighting a duel with a brush turkey. He keeps stripping all the garden of leaves, mulch, wood chips and making a mound or two and I keep replacing the material on the garden. The brush turkey may yet win.
Cook him up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sounds like he building a nest for the Mrs.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The males make the mounds. I have some photos but I need to get them off the memory card.

The previous owner left the chairs and the surf board so I've used them. That garden gets raked out on to the deck. The other garden gets raked out on to the white pebbles.

IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Brush turkey nests or 'mounds' are the size of a car and are made up of soil and plant material. Built by the males to attract a mate, they're essentially large compost heaps. So large, in fact, that they take the hard working male about a month to create.

You really need to sit down and have a good talk to that turkey if the above is anything to go by :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The turkey has won the first few rounds but I am making it a bit harder with more obstacles and lots of string as trip wires now in place around my new small shrubs.

IMG_0517.JPG

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I chose this unit in a block of 21 because it was about 500m from supermarkets and banks and Post office and had a garden and was back from the street. I've removed a few things and have stared to plant a few natives like that Westringia in the last photo. I've also put some new azaleas in pots.

Don't know what the council attitude is to brush turkeys. It says live with them.

https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/environment/species/brush-turkeys

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, this place is very handy. The block is 18 years old so not old enough it is falling to pieces from the salty air - near the Dee Why beach and not so new that the problems have not been found.

And possums.

gibbo

Loyal Member
We had a possum here one night, its the only time we have seen it. Our neighbours have a massive mango tree and we hear them up there most nights, think he must have gotten lost one night cause he turned up under the table on the back patio but took off once he saw us.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The possums don't seem to like azaleas or hibiscus. The turkey has eaten all the leaves of the top half of the hibiscus. I moved the tub today further from the wall of the balcony,

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
1863/1838 V18381863 22 TAYLOR JOSEPH - PHINEMORE JANE - CI= CofE Campbelltown, St Peters (Co. Airds)
I now have the image.

Page 39
Marriages solemnized in the Parish of St. Peter in the County of Cumberland in the Year 1838
No. 152
James [sic] Taylor of the Parish Sydney
Jane Phinemore of the Parish St Peter's Campbeltown
married in this Church by Banns with consent of Parties
Sixth day of February 1838 By me Thomas Reddall
Parties signed: Joseph Taylor, Jane Phinemore
Witnesses: Edward Creagan of Campbelltown, Anne Creagan of Sydney

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Bap V1839244 23A/1839 TAYLOR JULIETTA - JAMES - JANE

Page -
Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of St. Philip Sydney in the County of Cumberland in the Year 1839
No. 244 When Baptised: [margin] ? Novem. 1839 When Born: 22 October 1839 Julietta Daughter of James & Jane Taylor Abode: Bathurst Street Sydney Quality or Profession: Combmaker By whom the Ceremony was performed: William Cowper

Julietta c. 10 Nov 1839 St Philip Sydney, NSW
James TAYLOR & Jane
Batch C135438 GS Film 993952