• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Henry BOND

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Re: 4 BOND children

Smart move. :2fun:

Of the two I'd look for arrivals and not births in Ireland. :rolleyes:

15 Jan 1879 for Ann Maria so it looks as though they arrived say 1877 or 1878.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member

:eek:Oh check this out Dave. Wont post the whole story as its quiet long. Will put the good points in tho :biggrin:

The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933)
Tuesday 7 October 1873

SHOOTING A COW.

Wm. Bond and John Bond, two youths, aged respectively about fifteen and sixteen, were in- dicted for that they on the 20th July last, at or etc etc etc

Daniel McIvor, examined by Mr Hely, de-posed: l am a farmer, residing on the North Pine River ; I have known the prisoners for the last four or five years ; they live about six miles from my place ;

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member

Pity I can't award you a gold star for proficiency in using TROVE. :2fun:

Thanks gibbo. That pushes the date back 10 years.

John is the younger but he must have looked older than William.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member

Interesting.

Annie HAMILTON's mother was Catherine/Kate McIVOR.

Of course, born in Ireland.

Death 1922/C02612 Hamilton Catherine - - ** born Ireland aged about 76 years

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member

The Bond kids would have only been young so who was looking after them once they got here, their parents obviously didnt come here. Maybe they had relatives here :confused:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member

Dunno. The more we find the harder it gets. :2fun:

If they had relatives here you would expect to see the BONDs on the assisted list. They don't seem to be so if they came unassisted then how? The family was in financial trouble by mid 1850s, selling off lots of estates

They were probably not too young to have arrived together but too young to have had their own property next to the McIvor's.

We have one more now. Catherine McIVOR born Ireland abt. 1846 arrived before 19 Dec 1861.

Is this the death of the Daniel mentioned in the newspaper?

1933/C02194 McIvor Daniel - Daniel Bartholomew - Kathleen Bridget May Brennan

I can find no death for another Daniel so the above one can't be Catherine's father, not that we know he even arrived.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
William didnt get any land until 1878. Would be interesting to see who they lived with when they got here.

The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939)
Saturday 16 March 1878

Land Courts.*
EAST MORETON.

AT the Land Court sitting, before Mr. Commissioner Smith, on Tuesday, the following applications to select land were accepted:
Wm. Bond, 100 a., Pine or Terrors Creek;

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
About 6 miles in what direction from the McIvors? Even if we find who owns the land that does not mean we know who was living on and working it.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Rose Bond, Robert Bond, William Henry Bond, John Thomas Bond & Annie Maria Bond were all children of Richard Wensley Bond and Bridget Farrell who were never married. Richard Wensley Bond was legally married to his cousin Sophia Bond and they had 7 children. Bridget Farrell arrived in Moreton Bay on the Flying Cloud on 19th February 1864 with the 5 Bond children. She later married William Stewart and the family resided in what is now the Dayboro district where descendants of William Henry and John Thomas Bond still reside. It is our intention to hold a Bond Family Reunion at the Dayboro Showgrounds on 23rd February 2014 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of their arrival in Moreton Bay.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Elizabeth Rose Bond, Robert Bond, William Henry Bond, John Thomas Bond & Annie Maria Bond were all children of Richard Wensley Bond and Bridget Farrell who were never married. Richard Wensley Bond was legally married to his cousin Sophia Bond and they had 7 children. Bridget Farrell arrived in Moreton Bay on the Flying Cloud on 19th February 1864 with the 5 Bond children. She later married William Stewart and the family resided in what is now the Dayboro district where descendants of William Henry and John Thomas Bond still reside. It is our intention to hold a Bond Family Reunion at the Dayboro Showgrounds on 23rd February 2014 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of their arrival in Moreton Bay.
Thank you for the details. Interesting. :)

Regards,

Dave

My husband Bob (Robert James) Bond is the grandson of John Thomas Bond. Our neighbour Graham Bond is the Great-grandson of William Henry Bond.
We live on adjoining properties - Graham on property selected by William Henry Bond in 1876 and our place was selected by Robert Bond in 1888 however he died that year and John Thomas Bond continued with the selection. I have finally located a few descendants of Annie Maria Meyers (nee Bond) in New Zealand. Annie Bond was the first child enrolled on the Terrors Creek Provisional School Roll in 1874.
William Stewart whom Bridget Farrell eventually married selected 4 properties in what is now the Dayboro district totalling 815 acres. The family were in this district by 1869.
I am also president of the Dayboro District Historical Society - website www.dayborohistoricalsociety.com.au
As you can see these forums are all new to me - I Googled Richard Wensley Bond yestreday and came up with all the postings.
Cheers
Carmel

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thank you Carmel.

Members who post here are always hoping descendants will find some of the posts and be able to contribute something other than BMD and Electoral Roll sort of detail.

My connection is a remote one via FORD family.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited: