• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Hodgson-Baptism record

emrose

Hi
I am new to this forum :) and would be grateful for any help as I have hit a brick wall with a particular ancestor. I am looking for a William Hodgson born in Durham between 1790-1800. According to a church marriage record at Grindon, in 1817 he is full age and from the parish of Grindon. Alas I have not found him.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

emrose

Thanks leefer and I know his surname is common enough with out being paried with the equally as common forename of William :). Auckland st Andrew is fairly near but I think it might be too young as he is married in 1817 and it states he's full age (unless he lied :p). I have just found him in the 1841 census and it states he is 35 but then again they rounded the ages up so hes probably born in the 1790's

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello emrose,

welcome to FHUK.

Ages were supposed to be rounded down in 1841. It's possible he lied about his age. And 'from the parish of Grindon' does not necessarily mean that's where he was born. Does the marriage record list his father? Are you sure you have him in 1841? Do you know when he died? If after 1851 then finding him in 1851 census would be the best move.

Regards,

Dave

Just a note
Grindon I believe, was in the county of Yorkshire as well as a suberb of Sunderland, so it may be worth looking there as well as Durham. Grindon is near to Stockton on Tees

dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
County Durham
Place Grindon
Church St Thomas a Becket
RegisterNumber 15
MarriageDate 16 Aug 1817
GroomForename William
GroomSurname HODGSON