• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William John FURNER

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

Marriages Dec 1889
Furner William John Battle 2b 113
Munro Emily Jannet Battle 2b 113

RG 12/769/105/12
RD Battle
Living at Sedlescombe Sussex
FURNER family
William son aged 25 ag lab. married
Emily wife aged 25 born St Georges London, married
Annie aged 1 daughter
Harry aged 5/12 son
I'd like a look up for the family in 1901 please.

Regards,

Dave

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Dave
I don't know if this is of help.
1901 Uckfield Sussex
William Furner bn 1867 carter & farrier worker bn Brede
Emily 36, Annie 11, William Harry 10, George 8, Margaret 4,
Ruth 3, Albert, Miinnie 4 mnths.

oznannie

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Ozn,

Thanks. That's them. Minnie is the one with the not so common FURNER name.

This is probably William's death:

Deaths Dec 1936
Furner William J 71 Cuckfield 2b 210

Regards,

Dave

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi Dave :)
In the census ten years after 1901, there is in Uckfield
Albert Edward 11, Emily Jane 7, Emily Jannett 48,
Margaret 14, William Harry 20, William John 46.

will try and find missing kiddies.

oznannie

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello SPEEDIE,

welcome to FHUK.

I've have been given some info recently on Fanny so I think I have all I need now thanks.

I still have dozens of queries though re different parts of the FURNER line.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello SPEEDIE,

You may still be able to help me. I have 7 children for Owen & Fanny and only the year of birth/registration for their births from the on-line NSW BMD index. If you happen to have any of the full dates of birth it would be a help. I just have 1863 for Fanny. Thanks.

Any time in the next 6 months. :) I have many years of work left in my tree.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
I have only found 5 children of Owen & Fanny

Olive Muriel FURNER 6 JUN1885 – at her Mother's residence, No. 1 Leeville-terrace, Goulburn
Ralph Owen Locksley FURNER 7 May1887
Dorothy Victoria FURNER 29 MAR 1897 – 5 Hampden-terrace, Point Piper Road, Paddington NSW Australia
Phyllis Mary W FURNER 1899 – I haven't found her notice yet! But she is mentioned in Owen's death notice
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954), Monday 11 April 1938, page 12
FURNER-April 7 1938 Owen William Furner beloved father of Olive, Ralph, Dorothy, Phyllis and Mavis. aged 77 years. Privately cremated.

Mavis Jean Patricia FURNER 1 JUN 1907 – Gladstone, Liverpool-street, Paddington NSW Australia

All the births were announced in the paper so I got the dates from that. I haven't done any work on their deaths yet.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=monaropioneers&id=I21457

Cheers

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello SPEEDIE,

Many thanks for the info. I'll check it against what I have. Two died as infants:

Death #5906/1887 FURNER GLADYS I OWEN M FANNY GOULBURN

Death #1798/1893 FURNER CECIL G T OWEN W FANNY SYDNEY

I would not rely on the accuracy of the Monaro Pioneers site. The FURNER tree (and many others) is full of errors. One comes to mind:

Charles b. 17 Feb 1796 in Turnbridge, Kent, England

- parents Francis & Elizabeth both died in 1795 according to the submitted data. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Furners

Yes with data like that it's no wonder you feel as though you're in a parallel universe! I generally use other site's data as a starting point and then independantly look for corroborative data before I take it on board. Thanks for the "heads up" on that site and also for the data for the missing children. I did wonder about the long time gap between some of the children. If I find anything more I'll let you know.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello SPEEDIE,

I was not able to find a birth notice for Phyllis.

Also, remember that the publication date can be even a month after the actual birth date. And to be really sure, don't rely on the OCR or even the transcription if the OCR text has been corrected. Read the actual notice and decide for yourself what the actual date is. Sometimes it can be hard deciding if a digit is a 6 or an 8 :rolleyes: and you may find you don't agree with the correction. :D

Regards,

Dave

No I couldn't find one for Phyllis either. I've searched 6 months either side of December, 1899 and looked at every Family Notice during that period. I don't rely on transcriptions - in fact I haven't found anything that I'm interested in that has already been transcribed. But I will double check when I do. Thanks for the hint. The registration number would put the regisatration date sometime in September 1899. But, who knows? maybe they registered it very late. I'll check the 12 months surrounding Dec 1898.

Cheers