• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William L. Dodman

I am researching William Dodman b. 1821, Snettisham, Norfolk, England,
died On. Canada. While researching his son & 1st born William H Dodman,
born 1840 - 41. I found this person, William L. Dodman d. 23 May 1900,
Howard Twp., Kent County, RIDGETOWN, On.

Is it possible to search the 1901 census & find out " WHOM THIS WILLIAM L. DODMAN WAS?

I searched for this person on Mundia.com & was directed to William Dodman 1821, " MY ANCESTER!!!!!!!! "

Thank You Very Much For Taking Time With This Post!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly
Jeff :D :2fun:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Charles Dodman was born about 1863 Ontario. His parents are John and Jane Dodman.

John Dodman was born about 1826 England and Jane (Mary Jane McKay - assuming that Mary used her middle name) about 1833 born Ontario - Scottish Origin.

Eh Julie: Thank's for all the information & time you spent on this post.

John Dodman & Mary Jane McKay are my great-great grand parents Julie.

William Lester, I have not been working on that part of my tree, Julie. But
now I have a starting point to do so. I probably do have Charles & Margaret but am not sure if I have their children.

Thank's Again Julie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Jeff

I'm still convinced that looking at the period around 1840-1 is going to be the most helpful. In a previous thread you mentioned that William and Mary mar. in Brant around this time.

If correct, this looks the promising...

William Dodman
Event: Married
Year: 1841
Place: Brant County
Province: Ontario

Source:
June Bragg, Harris Bragg, Brant County Registers, Grace Anglican Church, Brantford, Marriages Vol 2, 1836-1861, Brant County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, Brantford, 1987.
Volume/Page: 24

This looks to be something to do with the church cited in the source - http://www.graceanglican.net/

Have you got any way of checking these records?

We know they lived in Blenheim and this could be daughter, Mary Ann [Elizabeth is also cited].

Mary Ann
Father: Dodman William
Mother: Mary
Res: Blenheim
Birthplace: Blenheim
DOB:1843-07-31
Bap: 1843-09-18
Bap. Place: Blenheim
Ker, Rev. Peter

My point here is that there is no William Henry. So if we have the correct family they probably relocated to Brock/London, [Blenheim] from Brant Co. This is why I think, William and Mary's mar. and/or William Henry's birth details may eventually lead to Mary Sr's details.

Geoff

Last edited:
Eh Geoff: " YES THIS IS THEM ", I already have this information Geoff, from Brant County, O.G.S., they are the people who said Mary Ann's maiden name was " DEGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! " I have never ran across the maiden name DEGAN on any records at all, Geoff!!!

I do not think Brant County, O.G.S. is correct, from " Ancestry.com ", I received confirmation that Mary Degan was born Ruperts Land, which is Northern Ontario, & part of the James Bay drainage system. Mary Degan's father, Joseph Degan, was a Fur Trader/Trapper, for the Hudson Bay Co.
This is a far cry from Oxford County, Blenheim District.

Geoff; as for William Lester, I have found the grave site in, Shewburg Cemetery. Wm. R.I.P. with his mother Margaret Johnston. I have also found a bro of Wm.'s, Alvin Johnston Dodman b. 15 May 1890, Ridgetown. After the death of Margaret 8 Feb 1893 at 29 yrs. of age. Charles Henry remarried to Mary Anderson & I have a daughter of their's, Glady Alta Dodman b. 24 Jul 1902.

Geoff, at the grave site are other markers... 1 is for " Father " is this Charles Henry, he died 14 Mar 1909, Ridgetown, On.? There are other markers as well Geoff... 1. Phyllis, 2. Cora, 3. Willie, 4. E.J. Is it possible that these people are also siblings, Geoff? If so is it possible to find any dates, DOB & DOD?

Yours Truly

horse

Loyal Member
I do not think Brant County, O.G.S. is correct, from " Ancestry.com ", I received confirmation that Mary Degan was born Ruperts Land, which is Northern Ontario, & part of the James Bay drainage system. Mary Degan's father, Joseph Degan, was a Fur Trader/Trapper, for the Hudson Bay Co.
This is a far cry from Oxford County, Blenheim District.
Yeah, can't put a lot of store on that without validation.

There is quite a lot of info on this family now, just a question of picking the chaff from the wheat... It is slowly coming together. Previous threads can be put down to leaning curves. Can afford to indulge in facts only now.

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Jeff

Yeah, have seen both of Charles' marriages and his death 14 Mar 1909, cert., says he died of TB (had it for 6 years).

This is Alvin's mar.
Alvin Johnson Dodman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Father: Charles Dodman
Mother: Margaret Johnson
Spouse: Anna May Besant
Spouse's Age: 22
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1889
Spouse Father Name: John A Besant
Spouse Mother Name: Esther Davis
Marriage Date: 8 Mar 1911
Marriage County or District: Kent
[Cert. Image says he is a chaufer]

Not found his death yet.

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
This could be Alvin's birth, wrongly transcribed...

Aloma Dodevan Johnson
[Alvin Johnson Dodman]
Date of Birth: 15 May 1890
Birth County or District: Kent
Father: Chas Dodman
Mother: Maggie Johnson
Archive Name: Archives of Ontario
Archive Series: MS929
Archive Reel: 99

Geoff

horse

Loyal Member
The only Willie/William I can find is this one...

William Edgar Franics Dodman
Date of Birth: 30 Oct 1907
Birth County or District: Wentworth
Father: Sylvester Dodman
Mother: Fidena Wilson
Archive Name: Archives of Ontario
Archive Series: MS929
Archive Reel: 189

1921 census
Territory: Ontario
District: Wentworth
District Number: 141
Sub-Dist: Ancaster (Township)
Sub-Dist No: 5
City, Town or Village: Ancaster Township
RG 31; Folder Number: 97; Page Number: 7

Sylvester Dodman 58
Zulpha Dodman 58
Cannon Dodman 20
Willie Dodman 13 [b. Ont.]

Some similarities between the 2 wntries, though different mother, Willie looks one to discount as a sibling of William Lester :rolleyes:

horse

Loyal Member
This looks like Gladys' mar.

Charles Eugene Hartford
Birth Place: Ontario
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1902
Father: Dean Chas Hartford
Mother: Margaret E Brandon
Spouse: Gladys Alta Dodman
Spouse's Age: 20
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1903
Spouse Birth Place: Ontario
Spouse Father: Chas H Dodman
Spouse Mother: Mary Henderson
Marriage Date: 3 May 1923
Marriage County or District: Elgin
Registration District: Oxford

Geoff

Eh Geoff; William Edgar Francis Dodman is not this " Willie!!!!!! " Wm. Edgar is my great uncle, while Sylvester & his wife are my great grand parents. Sylvester's parents are John Dodman b. 1825 Snettisham & Mary Jane McKay who is Canadian born.

Thanks for all the other information you have given me, Geoff!!!!!!!!!

Yours Truly

Yeah, can't put a lot of store on that without validation.

There is quite a lot of info on this family now, just a question of picking the chaff from the wheat... It is slowly coming together. Previous threads can be put down to leaning curves. Can afford to indulge in facts only now.

Geoff
Eh Geoff: After contacting, Brant County O.G.S., once again, I have come
up with this information...

Grace Anglican Church Marriages 1836 - 1861 - William Dodman and Mary " DEGAW ", both of Blenheim Twp., married 25 Jan 1841, Methodist Church, by Banns, Witness Freeland Graham and Ann Graham.

Is it possible to find parents & any siblings for Mary " DEGAW ", now, Geoff?

Yours Truly
Jeff :D :biggrin: