• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Moss Northamptonshire

Foxyloxy

I am looking for information about William Moss
b1Q 1838 Brixworth 15 248
Baptised Cold Ashby Northampton 1 April 1838 parents Thomas Moss and Ann (Dobson)
1841 3 yrs Cold Ashby, Northants
1851 13 yrs Cold Ashby, Northants

Then he disappears:mad::mad:

Potential:

1857-1859 The Indian Mutiny Medal Roll (British Forces) Gunner F Royal Horse Artillery IOR Reference 355.134

1861 23yrs Soldier Sheppey 1 Minster Kent( Royal Artillery)

There is another William Moss born in Nthampts at the same time he married Agnes lived in Folkstone , occ. Tailor
Having done some research on this one I suspect that he married Agnes Webb in Elham reg dist in Kent in 1863. He is in that reg dist in 1871 and his eldest child is 8. He was in Cheriton, Kent, in Elham district, in 1861, so the potential in Indian Mutiny Medal roll/ Royal Artillery in 1861 is highly likely to be 'my' William Moss

Could anyone shed more light on what happened to 'my' William:confused:

horse

Loyal Member
Something to ponder..

I'm not sure that the William in Kent is the correct one, in 1881 he has a sister, Sarah [44] staying with the family. I notice in the 1851 census he has a slightly older sister, Maria.. Unless of course she is know as Sarah!

1881 census ref:
RG11; Piece: 1010; Folio: 26; Page: 46

Geoff

Foxyloxy

Thanks Horse

His sister Maria is married and living in Leicester in 1881, he does have a younger sister named Sarah , she married in 1880 and is also living in Leicester in 1881.

Both of his brothers wives are called Ann and one is in Leicester the other living in Yorkshire in 1881

These 'escapees' who just seem is vanish are so difficult, I assumed he had died after the 1851 but can find no death/burial:rolleyes:

horse

Loyal Member
Hi

Have you considered this death? Daventry is fairly close to Brixworth and Cold Ashby. There appears to be an issue with the page no.

Deaths Q1 1859
MOSS William
Daventry
Vol 3b Page *

Geoff

Foxyloxy

Thanks, it is certainly worth considering, however I would have expected him to be buried in Cold Ashby however it is worth looking to see what I can find out about any burial in Daventry area.

It is always difficult when there are several people of the same full name and added difficulty approx same age in the same area

horse

Loyal Member
Potential:

1857-1859 The Indian Mutiny Medal Roll (British Forces) Gunner F Royal Horse Artillery IOR Reference 355.134
Looking at your theory of the Indian Mutiny, there are at least 3 or 4 possibles [there may be more]

1 William Moss Private 1857 10th Foot - 1st Bn Lincolnshire Regiment
2 William Moss Private 1857 90th Foot - Perthshire Volunteers
3 William Moss Private 1857 Camel Corps

No. 1 looks to have a middle initial [P] and was awarded the Lucknow clasp
No. 2 was awarded the Lucknow and Relief of Lucknow clasps
No. 3 was awarded the Lucknow and Central India clasps

There is also this:
UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949
William Moss
CAMPAIGN OR SERVICE: Indian Mutiny
SERVICE DATE: 1857-1858
SERVICE LOCATION: India
REGIMENT OR UNIT NAME: 3rd Battalion Rifle Brigade
[Image says he was transferred to Bengal]

Also this, looks like the same as No.1:
UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949
NAME: William Moss
CAMPAIGN OR SERVICE: Indian Mutiny
SERVICE DATE: 1857-1858
SERVICE LOCATION: India
REGIMENT OR UNIT NAME: 1st Battalion H Ms 10th Regiment
[Image says "advance to Lucknow with Brig. General Franks". Wounded 30 July 1857]

Not sure if any of this helps :rolleyes:

Geoff

Foxyloxy

I am not sure if it helps either however thank you I will save it and do some more research, so maybe it will become clearer in time with more research