• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Parker 1918

Bigfeet

Hi,
I've had a lot of help looking for my Grandparents and ancestors from people on here. I would like a bit of help if possible looking for my uncle Bills WW2 service record. I realise this might not be the correct forum but I cannot find anything. It is believed he served with the Desert Rats in North Africa, I have a photo and the Cap Badge looks like Royal Artillery.
His father is John Charles Parker and Mother Catherine Higgins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Not entirely. WW1 records, 60% +, were destroyed during WW2. (The irony of it).

WW2, I believe are covered by the 100 year privacy rule. That's why you need proof of death and have to pay. Conditions of purchase are different for family members.

//

Bigfeet

Funnily enough I got my Granddads WW1 record which is why I thought I'd try and get my Uncles and even my Fathers as he served 17 years in the Royal Signals. I didn't know my Granddad or uncle. My Granddad dies when my Dad was 14 and his Brother Bill died when I was very young. I'm trying to put something together for my Grandson.

gibbo

Loyal Member
There are a couple of other ways to find little bits of information if you unable to obtain military records, tho it does not work all the time its worth contacting different departments of Military Museums etc. IF they do have something on a particular person it is not the same as their actual service record. I found a little bit on my 2x great uncle in the Boar War doing it this way and most people i contacted were more than happy to help where they could.
Another way is to search London Gazette and see if they make a mention with promotions etc Again not the same as their actual records but if their records were destroyed sometimes it might be all that can found. [knowing their service numbers helps as there could be more than one person with the same name]

https://www.iwm.org.uk/

https://www.royalsignalsmuseum.co.uk/

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Bigfeet

There are a couple of other ways to find little bits of information if you unable to obtain military records, tho it does not work all the time its worth contacting different departments of Military Museums etc. IF they do have something on a particular person it is not the same as their actual service record. I found a little bit on my 2x great uncle in the Boar War doing it this way and most people i contacted were more than happy to help where they could.
Another way is to search London Gazette and see if they make a mention with promotions etc Again not the same as their actual records but if their records were destroyed sometimes it might be all that can found. [knowing their service numbers helps as there could be more than one person with the same name]

https://www.iwm.org.uk/

https://www.royalsignalsmuseum.co.uk/

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/
Hi Gibbo,

Thanks for your reply. I'll give it a go.

Bigfeet

Hi everybody another call for help. My Dad joined the Royal Signals after the second world war and was posted to Malta late 50's early 60's. My sister was born there in 1959 and myself in 1962. He was posted to Germany but this might well have been before Malta and then posted to Cyprus 1962 -1964. Does anybody know what medals he might have been eligible for? He saw his time out in England based in Catterick having served for 17 years. My best guess is the GSM for Cyprus but don't know of any others.

gibbo

Loyal Member
then posted to Cyprus 1962 -1964. Does anybody know what medals he might have been eligible for? He saw his time out in England based in Catterick having served for 17 years. My best guess is the GSM for Cyprus but don't know of any others.
My dad served in Cyprus from about 1956 - 1958 and he never claimed any medals he was eligible for but after he passed away 3 years ago mum filled out the necessary forms [been his next of kin] and she received his medal from Cyprus, she then obtained his military records. After he left the army he come to Australia in 1959 and went farming and mining and on retiring many years later he applied for the English military pension but it was refused on the grounds that his military service was listed as peacekeeping. Your dad's next of kin can claim any medals and or his military records or unless he had claimed and received them previously.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

is my dads Cyprus medal.

Attachments

Last edited:

thecelticbard

Valued Member
The General Service Medal was only ever issued when people served in areas of conflict.
I served in Germany and there was no medal or bar to attach to a medal for those years.
A little later, I shall dig out the details that indicate the dates that one had to qualify for
the GSM that I have. Also, am I right to assume you know about obtaining records from
the place in Glasgow. They charge £30 but it can take months, sadly, because we've all
jumped on the bandwagon in asking for family records. If I don't reply tomorrow, I'll be
back on Sunday. Good Luck. Brian

Bigfeet

The General Service Medal was only ever issued when people served in areas of conflict.
I served in Germany and there was no medal or bar to attach to a medal for those years.
A little later, I shall dig out the details that indicate the dates that one had to qualify for
the GSM that I have. Also, am I right to assume you know about obtaining records from
the place in Glasgow. They charge £30 but it can take months, sadly, because we've all
jumped on the bandwagon in asking for family records. If I don't reply tomorrow, I'll be
back on Sunday. Good Luck. Brian
Brian greatly appreciated.

thecelticbard

Valued Member
I'll do the medal first:- Two General Service Medals cover Cyprus. The one that you're
interested in is listed as 1962, with The Queen on the front and 'Campaign Service' on
the reverse. Those that had that, their Army No, Rank, Name and Unit is inscribed on the
rim. The ribbon for this medal is two green stripes with a purple one in between.
The Qualifying period for this for Cyprus is 21 December 1963 to 26 March 1964. Personnel
that continued to serve after that date, would have been given the United Nations Medal,
as they took over the 'Peace-keeping' Duties. From memory the ribbon was blue and white stripes.
The other Medal was listed as GSM 1918, with King George VI on the front, to qualify the dates
were from 1 April 1955 to 18 April 1955. The ribbon was two purple stripes with one green in
between.
Did you see your father's Red Discharge Book? That gives some other information in apart
from where he served.
I'll do the procedure with Glasgow later.
Brian

Bigfeet

I'll do the medal first:- Two General Service Medals cover Cyprus. The one that you're
interested in is listed as 1962, with The Queen on the front and 'Campaign Service' on
the reverse. Those that had that, their Army No, Rank, Name and Unit is inscribed on the
rim. The ribbon for this medal is two green stripes with a purple one in between.
The Qualifying period for this for Cyprus is 21 December 1963 to 26 March 1964. Personnel
that continued to serve after that date, would have been given the United Nations Medal,
as they took over the 'Peace-keeping' Duties. From memory the ribbon was blue and white stripes.
The other Medal was listed as GSM 1918, with King George VI on the front, to qualify the dates
were from 1 April 1955 to 18 April 1955. The ribbon was two purple stripes with one green in
between.
Did you see your father's Red Discharge Book? That gives some other information in apart
from where he served.
I'll do the procedure with Glasgow later.
Brian
Hi and thanks. No I didn't see his discharge book. All I remember was his cap badge, buttons, belt and beret. I have asked my mother to apply to see if she can get any Medals (downloaded the web form) Neither my mother or sister remember any medals. I want to add this to my GranddadsWW1 service records and various buttons, badges and medals I've collected so far of his. Trying to put a military scrap book together for my Grandson.

thecelticbard

Valued Member
Hi. Information on Service details for soldiers whose service ended BEFORE January 1921 can be obtained from the National Archives at Kew. Their address is available on their website. For soldiers whose service ended AFTER January 1921 can be obtained from:-
Army Personnel Centre; Support Division; Disclosures 2; Mail Point 555; Kentigern House; 65 Brown Street; G;LASGOW G2 8EX
The forms do mention 'next of kin' but are self-explanatory. I hope this will help you. Best Wishes. Brian

Bigfeet

Hi. Information on Service details for soldiers whose service ended BEFORE January 1921 can be obtained from the National Archives at Kew. Their address is available on their website. For soldiers whose service ended AFTER January 1921 can be obtained from:-
Army Personnel Centre; Support Division; Disclosures 2; Mail Point 555; Kentigern House; 65 Brown Street; G;LASGOW G2 8EX
The forms do mention 'next of kin' but are self-explanatory. I hope this will help you. Best Wishes. Brian
Hi Brian,
I'll try that next. Your help is really appreciated as is everybody else who has helped.