• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William PYNE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Keith.

Fuller = Fabric worker who shrinks, beats and presses the cloth.

Burler = A dresser of cloth. Removes small knots or lumps in cloth or thread. In the process of fulling.

Now I don't know.

Hi Dave,
I've just been reading through this thread with interest. While I can't add anything to your immediate question, I can add something about Charles' parents.
Over the years, I have collected bits of information here and there on the Pyne/Pine name as a sort of one name study, given the surname's common Devon origins.
I have in my notes Charles as the son of William and Prudence, as suggested above. However, it has probably been taken as face value from records. Where possible I have tried to draw up family units.
One suggestion if you haven't considered it, take into consideration the name might be spelt as "Pine" instead of "Pyne". The two are virtually interchangeable. Even in my own line, Pine becomes Pyne a few generations back, simply by moving towns.
There was quite a family of Pyne's/Pine's in Exeter who were fullers and similar trades.
Hope this helps.
Darren

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Darren.

Yes, I've seen the name as Pine in records as well.

I spent several hours at the Chatswood library today and I now have a copy of the marriage.

Page 172
1838 Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of St Andrew Holborn London in the County of Middlesex
No. 344 16 Jul 1838
Charles Pyne - Full age - Bachelor - Last Maker - 3 Ely Court - William Pyne - Fuller
Mary Garnham - Full age - Spinster - - - 3 Ely Court - Thomas Garnham - Labourer
Married in the Parish Church ... after Banns by me T Astley Maberly Curate
Parties signed: Charles Pyne, The Mark x Mary Garnham Witnesses: John Buckley, Sarah Buckley

So it looks like the right baptism for Charles but can't fit Edward.

Dave

I'll pull out my folders and see what I have on this family group. Something in the back of my memory is telling me I have old correspondence from someone to do with this family.
A curious coincidence is I have a Garnham marrying one of my Pine's. One of their sons lost a leg at Arnhem. I'll get back to you on that one too.
How are you related to these Pyne's?

DFPyne

Apologies for digging up this old thread but came across this conversation when doing some genealogy work of my family and might have some new information to share.

Sometime between 1851 and 1861 Thomas Pyne (b. 1815) and Samuel Pyne (b. 1821) moved to Agawam, Massachusetts in the United States. They ran the Agawam Woolen Mill. I’ve done extensive research on the descendants of William Dyer Pyne (b. 1785) and Prudence Purchase Pyne (b. 1780) and have never come across an Edward Pyne.

In my tree I have a brother Charles Pyne (b. 1812) who seems to have stayed in England while their brothers went to the states. I’m not sure if other siblings went with Thomas and Samuel to America, permanently or temporarily. This is the record I created for Charles in Geni, if any new information can be gleaned from it. https://www.geni.com/people/Charles-Pyne/6000000035331959980

My notes and documents are a little messy, but if there are specific questions I may be able to dig some information up.

Attachments

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
HO107 Piece/Book 670/5 Folio 42 Page 11
Civil Parish: St Andrew Holborn (Above The Bars)
Hundred: Ossulstone (Holborn Division)
County: Middlesex
Registration District: Holborn
Sub-RD: St Andrew Eastern
ED: 13
Address: Providence Place
Chas Pyne 25 Last m J N
Mary Pyne 25 N
Edwd Pyne 20 Last m J N

I have Charles and Mary in 1851 but not 1861. I have not found Edward in 1851.

Charles died in 1867 and Mary in 1866 in the same street as the address in 1851 census.

Wonder if Charles and Mary were out of the country in 1861?