• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Reaney's birth???

William Reaney was born in 1828 Sheffield, and definitely died in 1888. (He was buried with his wife Hannah Maria Fisher in Sheffield.)
I've got a pic of the garve where they are both buried, but there are no names or dates on it, only a plot reference.

I ordered the marriage cert and William's father was George Reaney, cutler.

1) I can't find William's birth / baptism details anywhere. There is another William Reaney from Sheff, I think born in 1827 but it's not him. My William Reaney ended up as a table blade grinder. He was living without parents in 1841, at Dais(e)y Bank Hill, Sheffield.

2) There are at least 4 George Reaneys that could have been William's father. If anyone can help, I'd love to know what his parents were called / when they were born etc so I can continue.

I'd be Sooooooooooooooooooo grateful if anyone can help me.
Ruth. :kissu:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Ruthanne

Do the 4 possible George's have any occupations that resemble that of a cutler?

Have you looked on the IGI for a possible baptism? As said, Sheffield is a city and there may be a selection of churhces to choose from for a baptism and the IGI is not complete.

Ben

Hi Ben,
Don't know what any of the George's occupations were as I found them all on the IGI and that doesn't list them. I got it wrong before, my George Reaney was a grinder not a cutler.

I've checked the IGI for baps and there is nothing there. I think the only way to go is to check the church records, and I think it would be the District church of st Mary.

Ruth. :)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

Have you looked for any George Reaneys on the 1841 census?

How about this one at Heeley Common, Sheffield 1841?

George Reaney, aged 50, a file maker. Born Yorkshire.
Elizabeth, aged 35, born Yorkshire.

This does resemble a grinder as he could have grinded files.

There is another George Reaney born c1796 with wife Mary a tool maker.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thank you so much for the help on this - after lots of looking and elimination I'm fairly certain that your suggestion is right, and that this is my George!!!! I hadn't thought to check through the census using the occupation. Good thinking that man!

Because of this almost certain confirmation I've managed to trace a couple more generations back.

You are an angel!
Ruth. O0