• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

william rothwell

jack

Can sks do a lookup for me for William Rothwell in the 1851 census. He was a merchant and will be shown as a widower. His first child was born in 1811 and christened at St Peter, Liverpool. He lived at Beacon Road, Everton from about 1832 to 1841. (He is shown in the Liverpool Directories, 1832 living in Beacon Road)
His wife was Elizabeth. I think he was born in the late 1700's, maybe 1795/6.

Regards
Jackie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found this one:-

civil parish Ellel, reg dist Lancaster, sub reg dist Ellel

Wm Talbot Rothwell head age 42 occ landed proprietor born Liverpool
Elizabeth wife age 31 born -----St. Clements Truro parish Cornwall
Anne Carter ------dau age 1 born Ellel
Frances Talbot son age 5mths born Ellel
William Rothwell age 76 father born Wigan
Olivia Frances Rothwell dau age 29 born West Derby
Abdul Medjit? age 19 farm servant born Africia
Catherine Reardon serv/nurse age 20 born Yorkshire

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
There seems to be a gap between children, perhaps William snr had been married b/4? especially with son William. There is a marriage for a William Rothwell of Wigan at Croston Lancashire 24-7-1800 to a Peggy Lea this is on the Lancashire OPC and the LDS site.

jack

I am a bit confused on this family. Why can't anything be simple?
This is what I know:
William Rothwell and Elizabeth (possibly Laughton) had the following:
Mary Anne Rothwel B6-4-1811, Christ 14-6-1811 St Peters, Liverpool
John Rothwell Christ 12-3-1813, St Peters, Liverpool
Thomas Rothwell
all according to IGI.

Maybe you have the right idea about two marriages. Perhaps William remarried and then had the other children, Olivia Chris 1821, Henry Joseph Chris 1822 and Eliza Anne Chris 1824. These 3 children were also all christened at St Peters, Liverpool.

I don't think that William in the 1851 that you have, is perhaps the right one. Maybe we need to find a birth record for William landed proprietor in 1807?

Regards
Jackie

jack

Hi again, this is what i have found on IGI. See if it makes any sense to you:

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 7
Select records to download - (50 maximum)

1. OLIVIA FRANCES ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 13 NOV 1821 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England M - ELIZA F- WILLIAM ROTHWELL
2. ELIZA ANNE ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 21 APR 1824 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England M – ELIZABETH F- WILLIAM ROTHWELL
3. HENRY JOSEPH ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 31 OCT 1822 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
M – ELIZABETH F – WILLIAM ROTHWELL
4. WILLIAM HENRY TALBOT ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 10 FEB 1820 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
M – ELIZABETH F – WILLIAM ROTHWELL
5. JAMES CHARLES ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 01 AUG 1820 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England M – ELIZABETH F – WILLIAM ROTHWELL
6. HANNAH ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 17 APR 1816 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England – M – HANNAH F – WILLIAM ROTHWELL
7. ELLEN ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 12 NOV 1817 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England M – HANNAH F – WILLIAM ROTHWELL

IGI Batch P 020272

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 5
Select records to download - (50 maximum)

1. MARY ANN ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 06 APR 1811 M- ELIZABETH LAUGHTON F – WILLIAM ROTHWELL
2. MARY ANN ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 14 JUN 1811 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
3. JOHN ROTHWEL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 12 MAR 1813 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England M – ELIZABETH F – WILLIAM ROTHWELL
4. THOMAS ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 05 APR 1809 – M – ELIZABETH SIMPSON F – WILLIAM ROTHWELL
5. THOMAS ROTHWELL - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 23 JUN 1809 Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

IGI Batch P 020271

Bearing in mind that I am on the hunt for Mary Anne Rothwell, father William Rothwell, a merchant, and on her marriage certificate to 2nd husband, she was widowed from Everton and surname was Jefferson.

Is this any help?

Regards
Jackie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Jackie,

If these are the persons theres a William Rothwell merchant on the 1841 census with Olivia the address if Beacon Row living in the civil parish of Walton on the Hill? The 1832 poll had Beacon Lane as his address so these could be them. Olivia who is on the 1851 census with William snr and brother William Talbot Rothwell, she gives her birthplace as Walton on later census (she died unmarried in 1907. Still at the Foxhole in 1901 with nephew Frances Tablot Rothwell (unmarried) who went to University of Oxford) so I think that they are the same family. Olivia seemed to live most of her life at the Foxhole. Brother William Talbot Rothwell is on one census as landsman? farmer 20 acres.

The poll book for 1832 has a Robert Jefferson gent Rose Place Liverpool T.

jack

Hi Julie,
My computer did not notify me that you had posted a message. Luckily I checked back as it has happened in the past.

It looks so great to see a name Robert Jefferson - at long last. I think he could be the right one as the family seemed to be well off. And Mary would've married well. George Bowes Taylor came from a large family and lived in a large house or hall. I will search for a Robert Jefferson death between 1832 and 1845. Hopefully this is our man!

Did people who went to University in those days one of the few? Or was it attainable by most people?

Regards
Jackie

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Jackie,

Whether this Robert Jefferson is the right one I can remember a Robert Jefferson death year 1837 and the only way of telling if he is the right person or any others (from Sept 1/4 1837 death certificate ) before June 1837 would be parish registers,

Going to university I would think would be for the privlaged (well off).