• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Scott born c 1815 Selkirk died South Australia 1879

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Trying to find the parents of this man who came on the Iron King in 1873 London to Port Adelaide just after his wife Elizabeth Armstrong had died in Roxburghshire. A trillion trees have his parents as Robert Scott and Agnes Mitchell but no proof of where they got it. His grave is at Flinders Rangers Council, South Australia. Children with him on ship are Mgt 29, Eliz 21, James 19, George 16 and John 15
What concerns me is that Robert and Agnes have all their children baptised and he isn't there. There is an early child born 1810 Jane who is not baptised and with the naming patterns William would have to be born around the 1813/1814 mark and there is a space between children but I need proof he is part of this family. Nots of pros and cons. Be grateful for help as usual.
Barbara

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Index does not help.

SCOTT William - M - District Frome - Book 98 page 463 1879

The State Library has more detailed records but not open for searching resources.

Update.

As of 17 October the SLNSW will allow entry and access to resources provided you supply personal details for contact tracing.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Barbara have you checked the passenger list for Iron King?

Something isn't adding up with your information and the passenger list details??

FINDMYPAST
South Australia, Passenger Lists 1847-1886
1873 with keyword IRON KING

Scott Elizth YOB 1852
Scott Geo YOB 1857
Scott James YOB 1854
Scott Jane H YOB 1842
Scott Jno YOB 1858
Scott Mary C YOB 1844
Scott Wm Jas YOB 1850

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
gibbo, I wonder if SLNSW will do an 'Ask a Librarian' for you for looking up

Death 1879 SCOTT William - M - District Frome - Book 98 page 463

in the book of SA deaths for the full entry.

My library card is not a normal one but a 'Special Collections' one and they know my address so they will expect me to come to the library.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197671904

Her
passenger list, as published in London, is as
follows:—Jane Crooken<?en, William Scott, Wm.
Scott, jun., and wife, Mary, Elizabeth, James,
George, and John Scott, ...

That list has William and junior but the other list only has junior.

further down

Soott—William 23, Jane 31.

Soott—James 19, George 16, John 15

Soott—Mary 29, Elisabeth 21.

I will edit that on Trove to Scott.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member

My library card is not a normal one but a 'Special Collections' one and they know my address so they will expect me to come to the library.
Can only ask, will do that tomorrow.

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Gibbo. So many Wm Scotts. Think everyone from the Borders of scotlands has a Scott of some kind in their tree and they are very hard to work out at times. Naming patterns work with Robert and Agnes being Wm's parents. They are using them as Wm's wife' parents were Mary Campbell and Andrew Tennant. Sorry his wife was Elizabeth Tennant and not Armstrong. ( I have a Thomas Scott married to Elizabeth Armstrong and they both went to Australia) Full children of Wm Scott and Elizabeth Tennant are
Robert 1842, Mary Campbell 1844, Agnes 1846, Andrew 1848, Wm 1850, Elizabeth 1852, James 1854 George 1856 and John 1858

Barbara

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Late at night the tug started accordingly. The Iron King was built of extra heavy metal plating under special survey in 1867 at Newport for Messrs. Mainland & Co., and was first employed in the trade between London and India. She cleared on August 25, left the London Docks on the 26th, and the craft sailed on the 27th, so that she has been 107 days out. Her passenger list, as published in London, is as follows. —
Jane Crookenden, William Scott, Wm. Scott, jun., and wife, Mary, Elizabeth, James, George, and John Scott, Margaret, Marjory, and Mary Campbell, Michael Hogan, Michael Morrissy, Edward Utillett, Robert Shaw, J. and Mary Butler, Joha, Egra, Rose, Sara, Zelpha, Emily, Mary, and Titus Butler, Elizabeth Nevianson, Lawrence Hinett, and J. W. Houston (Surgeon)
From the Ships List website.

gibbo

Loyal Member

All done, might be a little delay in the response time tho, see how it goes.

We expect to respond by: 10/31/2020 07:45 PM

As some Library staff are working offsite due to the COVID-19 situation, it may take a little extra time to find you the best information available to answer your enquiry. Additionally, building works at the Library mean some manuscript collections cannot be accessed. Enquiries and Copies Direct orders for affected manuscripts collections will be responded to when the collections are accessible again.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The library holds books with SA births, deaths and marriages with transcriptions of the events. So it will depend what was recorded on his death certificate.

I'll look for an example in my tree. May not list the father's name. The SA deaths tend to list the spouse as the closest relative.

Death
NOBLE Mary Lucy
Date: 1964-01-29
***: F
Relative: Frank NOBLE [DH] = Deceased Husband
Relative 2:
Residence: Henley Beach
Death Place: Henley Beach
District: Adelaide
Book 968 p.851

Last edited:

barbarajoh

Loyal Member
Staff member
Not that I know of Dave. I will just hope for the best but know it is not always possible to prove his parents. I could email all the trees with these parents as Robert and Agnes but think I would lose the will to live as bet none of them have anything, they all site ancestry trees as their source.:(