• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

William THOMAS/Mary SMITH - where before 1851?

brentor boy

Valued Member
In 1851 William Thomas and wife Mary were living in Llangattock, Brecon with children George and Priscilla. William is shown as age 46, born Boss (Ross?), Herefordshire. Mary is 27, born Shifnal(?), Salop

By 1861 Mary is a widow, living in Pantywaun, Gelligaer, with George and Priscilla, and also Joseph and Mary. She is then shown as age 35, born Blackrod, Lancs.

In 1871 Mary is still in Pantywaun, living with Priscilla (married), Joseph and Mary. Age given as 44, born Blackrod.

George was born somewhere in Wales(each census different place recorded) circa 1847. Priscilla's birth certificate shows Mary's maiden name as Smith.

I have a certificate for a William Thomas/Mary Smith married Glasbury, nr Hay-on-Wye, April 1847, but not entirely convinced that is the same couple. A William Thomas and Mary Smith were married in Merthyr Tydfil in 1848 but apparently not to each other. I can find no other likely unions - assuming they were married!

The certificate shows William as a bachelor, a sadler, living St Mary's, Brecon, son of Richard, a labourer. Mary, a spinster, was living in Glasbury, daughter of Charles, a potter. Both were "of full age". Witnesses:- Thomas Powell, Thomas Smart, Margaret Waugh, and R J(?) Larkin.

Any suggestions as to how I might establish the identities of William and Mary more precisely would be most welcome