• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

William Tyson

duckweed

Loyal Member
Can anyone find William Tyson born 1854 Lyth Westmorland in any other census other than 1891 where he is with his wife Margaret (Lyth 1859) and children Sarah Ann 1882 Kentmere, Westmorland, Jane 1885 Kentmere, John Vickers Tyson 1887 Kentmere, Mary E 1888 Kentmere, William Thompson Tyson 1890 Kentmere. He could be down as born Kendal or even Cumberland as Lyth seems to be sometimes Westmorland sometimes Cumberland. He married Margaret in 1881 after the census was taken but I can't find him in 1861 or 1881.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed,

After looking at the 1891 census this is what I found:-

civil parish Kentmere reg dist Kendal sub reg dist Ambleside

Ann Tyson wife age 51 born Outerside
George Tyson head age 54 farmer of 592 acres born Eskdale
" " son age 23 farmers son born Enerdale
Sarah Tyson dau age 20 born Lamplough
Thomas Tyson son age 14 born Borrodale
Vickers Tyson son age 9 born Borrodale
William Tyson son age 25 born Enerdale

civil parish Crosthwaite reg dist Cockermouth sub reg dist Keswick

Ann Tyson wife age 31 born borrowdale
George Tyson head age 33 farmer born Ennerdale
Sarah dau age 6mths born Ennerdale
William son age 5 born Ennerdale
William Wrightson servant age 26 born Borrowdale

Julie

duckweed

Loyal Member
The trouble is that I have William 2 years older and born either Lyth or Kendal. BMD has him born in Kendal. Is Ennerdale close to Lyth or in Kendal district? I have on BMD another William born 1856 born in Whitehaven district. I'd like to think the Ennerdale was also the Lyth one as I can follow the Ennerdale one back to Eskdale and back a bit more. What do you think. Have they got both birthplace and date wrong?

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed,

Ennerdale seems to be nearer Whitehaven, where as Lyth(e) is nearer to Kendle, Crosthwaite is in the Lyth(e) Valley.

See the link below to Curious Fox as you can use the multi maps.

Julie

duckweed

Loyal Member
I'm assuming George is Williams father because it makes the most sense. I traced George back and his parents were John Tyson and Sarah Vickers, hence a child called Vickers and a grandson called John Vickers Tyson. George's father John had a father named William. Could be where the name William came in though John doesn't seem to have a son William. John came from Seathwaite but married in Ennerdale. So I'm now on the track of Tysons in an entirely new part which I know very little about even though I was born in Lancashire. That's the joys of geneology for you.