• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Windows blank page

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Somehow I pressed a key on the laptop (which one I dont know) and for the last couple of weeks I keep getting a Windows blank page when online. If I notice it in time I can close this window but if I close another window up it comes and fills the screen and theres no way of closing it only by turning of the laptop and starting again. Any ideas? :confused:

gedcom

Hi Juliejtp

There is someone on a tech forum who sounds as if they are having the same problem, I am not sure what the rules are about putting links to other forums or mentioning them by name, so I have not put a link to it on here.

They seem to be several suggestions on the page, adware which opens an ad that is blocked, also talking about it being a problem with Vista. Someone has tried all sorts to get rid of it with no success. Someone else mentions references to Coolwebsearch which is Spyware, when they deleted all references to this it went away. Another suggestion is Incredimail problems.

Not much help but may be worth a read if I can mention it on here.

Gedcom

gedcom

This seems to be a favourite solution

Unistall the program called Incredimail, go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, looked for Magentic/Incredimail.

I have no idea if this could be your problem, but worth a look.

Gedcom

Hi Julie,

Don't know if this will help but here goes, :(

Here's the problem - Internet Explorer seems to have decided that the home page About:blank is what will greet you every time you open a new browser window. You try to change it back but either your Internet Options are greyed out or you change the page back, only to find next time you start Internet Explorer the dreaded About:blank has returned.

There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular, CoolWebSearch.

The symptom that identifies the CoolWebSearch or a close variation is that About:Blank appears as the address, but in the background a window pops up stating that spyware, adware or something similar has been found on your system. CoolWebSearch is a browser hijack program - it takes over your home page, and keeps changing it back. Its purpose is to show you advertising, or flog you an over-priced piece of software to fix the issue CoolWebSearch has created. The About:Blank change is a trick designed to confuse users - regrettably, it is very successful!

The simplest way to remove the About:Blank adware is to use a specially designed tool and clean up your system. Step one is to flush out all the temp files on your system: Cookies, Temporary Internet Files and Temp files (you can do this via Internet Explorer's Tools-Internet Options or for a more thorough clean, use a privacy eraser tool.

If these options don't work, you may need a more in-depth tool .

The About:Blank deception is devious enough already - it may be altered in the future, so keep an eye out for other programs that contain it (main sources: free programs with adware files) - and stay clear. Finally, consider adding an anti-adware tool to work next to your anti-virus software.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Joyce,

Have just xome back on line and fingersxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx so far so good.

Just as I typed this blank page windows has come up on the botton bar.

I'll have another look at your reply.

Thanks

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Joyce,

I have got spyware, ran a scan all ok, theres nothing indicating that there is anything wrong no pop up boxes with warnings!.

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Finally got rid of the blank page. Downloaded a newer version of Explorer totally messed up my Norton 360 didnt get rid of the page so downloaded Firefox, no blank page, works faster and can download the enhached viewer on Ancestry. Quite happy at the moment.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Finally got rid of the blank page. Downloaded a newer version of Explorer totally messed up my Norton 360 didnt get rid of the page so downloaded Firefox, no blank page, works faster and can download the enhached viewer on Ancestry. Quite happy at the moment.

I had a problem with Firefox, page kept freezing.:mad: Binned Firefox and Norton.

I use Windows and AVG 8.0 :) and downloaded enhanced viewer. I suppose we all have different 'cocktails'.

Steve.:)

Hi Julie,

very glad you back right:) :) Norton is one of the worst anti virus according to everyone our of computer repair guys from work, Just brought a new version of it for one of my work computer and our computer repair guy came in the next day and removed it and install avast a free one instead. So spent 60 bucks for nothing, lol:2fun: :2fun: Joyce

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Julie,

very glad you back right:) :) Norton is one of the worst anti virus according to everyone our of computer repair guys from work, Just brought a new version of it for one of my work computer and our computer repair guy came in the next day and removed it and install avast a free one instead. So spent 60 bucks for nothing, lol:2fun: :2fun: Joyce
I have been told also about Norton.
Trouble with 'free' ones, you don't get 100% security. I have found to my cost, 'nothing is free'. But some free ones are better than others.

I scan my whole computer system everyday, and update it every four hours.

I have been told also about Norton.
Trouble with 'free' ones, you don't get 100% security. I have found to my cost, 'nothing is free'. But some free ones are better than others.

I scan my whole computer system everyday, and update it every four hours.

hi steve,

I agree, avast has a more advanced version that of course I could pay for but since he added to my work and home I haven't had problems, yet :) and being cheap like I am I will wait. He did state I would have to keep registering it but that is just putting in my email infor. I keep one email address mostly for excessive mail (junk) and another for family and friends so that don't bother me. ;) Joyce

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Seems to be working ok. IEP and Norton didnt like eachother, for some reason Norton security wasnt working with IEP each time I went on line I had to fix 2 settings as there was a security risk.