• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Windows. "Stopped working"

tiddy30

Has anyone had a problem with Windows Explorer.

I've had 3-4 tabs up, and then Windows stops working. Searches for a solution and closes. It then re-opens in Windows homepage.

Steve.:mad: :)
you could have a virus,there seems to be loads lately:mad: i have been runnin my anti virus on an hourly basis for the last few days cos i keep gettin pop ups.seems to be a prob with google search too.:confused:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Does Windows freeze completely? If mine crashes then I shut down and reopen I get an icon saying "Your last Windows session closed unexpectedly. Do you want to Restore it?"

The amount of horrible spam emails I have been recieving and having to delete lately is rising as well.

Ben

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
you could have a virus,there seems to be loads lately:mad: i have been runnin my anti virus on an hourly basis for the last few days cos i keep gettin pop ups.seems to be a prob with google search too.:confused:
My anti-virus runs constantly, and has done since I installed it. It scans everything as I use it. It also updates hourly. It also does a full system scan everyday.(It takes 90 minutes)
Windows defender scans every day. Windows updates automatically.

Pop ups are blocked, and are only allowed when neccessary.

Could be a Vista problem.

Steve.:)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Does Windows freeze completely? If mine crashes then I shut down and reopen I get an icon saying "Your last Windows session closed unexpectedly. Do you want to Restore it?"

The amount of horrible spam emails I have been recieving and having to delete lately is rising as well.

Ben
Never had any spam at all. I had the same thing with windows last year, stopped using firefox, and up until recently no probs.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
got another worm? better check
flower
No, it's not a worm. There was a conflict in my HP smart web printing program.
Just sorted it out. Hopefuly sorted now. No virus, worm, nor any other nasty.
Just a slight conflict in my program.
Just needed a small download from HP, that's Hewland Packard, not HP sauce.:biggrin: :biggrin:

marie44

No, it's not a worm. There was a conflict in my HP smart web printing program.
Just sorted it out. Hopefuly sorted now. No virus, worm, nor any other nasty.
Just a slight conflict in my program.
Just needed a small download from HP, that's Hewland Packard, not HP sauce.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Stevie, thats HEWLETT Packard dearie. yuk yuk yuk :2fun:

tiddy30

i have been using firefox for a while now and not had any probs but as soon as IE updated i had nothin but problems with it.I get pop ups even tho i have a pop up blocker on and running.i cant seem to get rid of them:mad:

sterico

Loyal Member
Hi steve,
How often are you doing a disc cleanup and defrag? i used to have this prob myself until i made it a weekly maintainance to defrag and disc cleanup, also have you checked how full your registry is?
sterico