• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Worcester Regiment

hilwyn

From
England
Hi I am looking for information on my Grand Father, Henry McDonald, born in 1871 in Wolverhampton, he married Harriet Bill in 1898. He was killed in action on 6 August 1915 at Gallipoli, I am looking for his service records, if they still exist, he was with the Worcester Regiment, 4th Battalion, 21806 Pte, I have a copy of his medal index but do not know if they were ever issued to his family, he was issued with the Victory, British and 15 Star.

Regards Hilwyn:)

Hello Hilwyn ,Here is his details from the S.D.G.W

Worcestershire Regiment
Batt - 4th Battalion
Surname - Mcdonald
Names - Henry Initials - H
Born - Wolverhampton Rank - Private
Enlisted - Wolverhampton
Residence -
Died date - 06/08/1915
Died How - Killed in Action
Theatre - Gallipoli

4th Battalion
August 1914 : in Meiktila, Burma. Returned to England, landing at Avonmouth 1 February 1915.
February 1915 : attached to 88th Brigade in 29th Division. Moved to Leamington Spa.
Sailed from Avonmouth 21 March 1915 for Gallipoli, going via Egypt. Landed at Cape Helles on 25 April 1915.
January 1916 : evacuated from Gallipoli to Egypt.
20 March 1916 : landed at Marseilles for service in France.

the 4th Battalion was attached to to 29th Div, here is a link

http://www.1914-1918.net/29div.htm

best reguards
Braveheart

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information that you have sent me, much apprecicated.

Does anyone know if there are any photo's of the 4th Battalion Worcester Regiment taken during 1915.:)

Regards Hilwyn

I can recommend a trip to the Worcestershire Regimental Museum but with all the mergers that have taken place over the last 40 years, I'm not sure what it is now called or where it is..............if I find out, I'll put it on here.

Based on my personal experience, curators like people who have an interest in the regiments of old.

Brian

Back