• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Workhouses

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Glees

Falling on hard times, illness, lack of work especially in winter, recessions, pregnancy or being drunk and disorderly. There were several reasons why our ancestors ended up in the workhouse

I find it very interesting when I do find a workhouse ancestor.

Ben

Littlemo

Hi Glees,
I agree with everything Benny said about the reasons why people ended up i Workhouses.There used to be One in my local area, which became an Old People"s Hospital, but I can remember my Gran being terrified of ending up there (even though it was by then a Hospital) and making the Family swear on the Bible they would never let her end up in there.
If you know the area where the Workhouse was, then the Local Library can be a mine of Information, also local Websites & Newspapers

Happy Hunting
Best Wishes Littlemo

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

My 3xgreat grandfather was in the workhouse for 3 days in 1885, 3 weeks in 1887 and died in an infirmary in 1889 in London. I was just searching randomly through workhouse registers under my ancestors names to see if they ever did enter the workhouse and I was lucky to find a few mentions.

I think being in his 70s with a family and becoming frailer may have explained his admittance as he was also in reciept of sick relief.

Ben

Thank you for the info.

I was just asking after spotting a name on a census which could (at a longshot) have possibly been a realation, but i'm none the wiser as of yet. He is only 19 years old at the time and his parents are not in the workhouse with him. He is living elsewhere during the 1871 and so ended up in there between these years.

Thank you again
Glees
:)

susanwillis59

Valued Member
have just come across your post,try your local county records office they tend to hold records for workhouses ,i live in the north east and ours are in middlesbrough free to look as far as i know but think you have to book a slot. hope this helps sue,.

lighty

I had ancestors in the Workhouse, some of them looked dreadful, Ben is right when they fall on hard times, especially if the husband died and left his wife with lots of children, i found 4 children in the workhouse the youngest 5, the oldest 11, the mother at the time was living with another man just a year after her husband died, i often wongered if she ever went to visit them (sometimes it was not allowed), i tried to follow the children through the census, 10 years later two of the boys were working down the pit, and living in lodgings, (the house is still standing today), 1 of the girls was in service. its so sad but that was life for some of them back in tose days. :'(

Lighty.

Hi sorry i took so long to reply but thank you for the extra information. I agree life sounded awful in the workhouses having now read some accounts across the internet i can't begin to imagine how some people survived. Thank you again.

Glees:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
admin Irish Genealogy Roots 0
H FHUK General Chat Room 3
stevegraham85 FHUK General Chat Room 4
p.risboy FHUK General Chat Room 2